I7-4790 Gtx 1080 massive fps drops.

Sep 24, 2018
Hello guys!

I have a problem i just bought 2 days ago a Asus strix Gtx 1080,and my fps worse than before,i had Gtx 970 and stable 120+ fps,in Fortnite for example,and just now its drop to even 80 or more,i dont have any idea what could be the problem.It can be the motherboard,and the ssd? Beacuse both really old.

Thanks already guys!

Spec:
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
16 GB 1600MHZ Corsair ram.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
ASRock H97 Pro4
120 GB Agility 3 SSD
120 GB Vertex 450 SSD
1 TB Western Digital

Solution
so it's your mobo or something else that's bad. may as well make a Memtest86 boot usb and test the crap out of your ram to rule it out.

need to check your psu, you know the drill

make sure your SSDs are ok and performing well

Ramlethal

Estimable
Actually your CPU is way to week for a 1080 there is an average 10% Bottleneck. But still i dont really think that's causing the issue... Are you using MSI afterburner while playing ? what temps and clocks do you have while playing ?
Also, do you have V-Synch enabled while playing fortnite?

Ramlethal

Estimable

Well... it is actually very very weird since my bro cpu has a similar rig to you but it has a 6700k with x2 Gtx 1080s and... he gets like 260 fps when uncapped.

Try Vsync-ing it at 120 Fps and check if it gets those constant drops. Also, be sure all your drivers are up to date by using Geforce Experience.
Oh, and one last thing: Whats the CPU usage while playing fortnite?

Sep 24, 2018
My question is i have really old motherboard and ssd,sometimes just delete randomly windows files and i need to reinstall again,it can cause the drops?
Cpu usage is around 40-50% IN game.

Proc and the rest remain the same and you just upgraded to 1080? Only the 1080 is new right?
hmmmm....
If everything remains the same, the problem should be only related to your new GPU.

1. Remove the GPU driver using DDU and install the GPU driver again from scratch
2. Make sure your 1080 is working under performance mode and not on energy saving (nVidia control panel)
3. Check the temp of your 1080.
4. Post your PSU specs and exact model.

Ramlethal

Estimable

It may be possible. I remind having a Damaged HDD experience... That my HDD died and resurrected every... like 5 or 6 seconds? and Forced my PC to go Extremly Slow even when gaming. The only solution i came to... Was to replace the HDD.
But i am not entirely sure if your case is similar.

Ramlethal

Estimable

Totally. 83 is the Maximum cap for Factory 1080s (Max safe temp is 102)
Until it reaches 83 it will not thermal throttle AT ALL.
And the PSU is totally fine aswel.

Sep 24, 2018
Im tottaly out of ideas,but i dont want to buy new motherboard and ssd until i dont know what is the reason of the fps drops,i will try my gpu in a different pc today,so that might help a little.

Try this post first ^
Then these steps:
1. Uninstall all NVidia drivers from control panel. Then reinstall the newest driver for the GTX 1080. If this doesn't improve performance go to step 2.
2. Uninstall all NVidia drivers from control panel and use DDU uninstaller to remove all remnants of problematic GPU drivers:
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
3. Last resort - Format and reload your operating system with a clean install of windows 10 then make sure to install all drivers for motherboard and graphics card.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

No. It is not. There's no such thing as a direct correlation between a GPU and a CPU - it's not that simple, and depends FAR more on resolution and refresh rate of the monitor.

If everything was stable with a GTX 970, there is NO WAY that the GTX 1080 will make the CPU perform less than it did previously.

Ignore bottleneck percentages from bottleneck calculator sites - they are useless.

This is where I'd start.

Sep 24, 2018
Im thinking about buy a new 1150 socket motherboard,beacuse i have a 250gb brand new m.2 ssd,what you think guys that should solve the problem?
On the another pc with i7-8700k working perfectly.

Ramlethal

Estimable

Have you by any chance switch the PCI-E slot you are using on the mobo with the 1080?
Maybe its just a problem of the PCI-E connector slot from the mobo and its not necessary to replace a thing.

I think you have a card that has issues. none of this should be necessary. RMA it.

the more i see this the more i think it's faulty video cards. i've seen 1060s play games like crazy with no drops so this is unheard of. seems the failure rate of these cards is pretty awful.