i7-4790 non K safe temp.

Victor443

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017
Hello guys, my CPU has been going up to 78-90 (When gaming) after I installed my new graphics card (GTX 1070). Is this a safe temp or is this bad for my CPU ? What can I do to lower the temp a bit ? I currently use the stock cooler that came along with the cpu when I bought it and a Xtrike V9 case.

Also, what's a good program that I can use to monitor my CPU temp ?

Solution

Your CPU is never doing nothing. It always has some task that it needs to take care of and so you can see temp flux at times while it ramps up to take care of that specific task.

For extra cooling and overclocking head room, if you ever got a "K" version, I go water cooling on my CPUs and it has paid off a lot. However, it can be more expensive than a good air cooler. The sound and performance difference between AIO liquid coolers and high end air coolers is really negligible, but I prefer the...

jdcranke07

Honorable
Those are high temps for you CPU, however they're typical for the stock cooler. You need to get a better cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO at the bare minimum. Good temps for that CPU would be lower than 60'C, so an all-in-one water cooler would be great for it.

I use Openhardwaremonitor for my PCs, but Hardwaremonitor, MSI Afterburner, Precision XOC, and others are pretty good.

ditto on replacing the stock cooler - i have a 4790 on another computer and was seeing temps in the 70s - replaced my cooler with a noctua cooler and they came down to low 50s when rendering videos - the software i use for rendering is a core hog - ie cpu usage showing 98-99% so the cooler did help a lot

so you're aware that cpu has built in thermal limits to prevent damage - at 80C it throttles slightly, at 100C it throttles way back and it saved my cpu - i was initially running Asus's AI Suite 3 performance monitor utility as the cpu was on an Asus mobo - turns out the asus AI Suite 3 has major issues - it was showing max 67C, and i mean magically 67C, no variation when rendering video files. I downloaded RealTempGT and it showed the cpu was hitting 98 -100C. Downloaded a few other temp monitoring utilities and they confirmed RealTemp's temps

it has a nice feature - you can leave a small micro window showing each cores temps down in the bottom right hand corner if you want to monitor while working, gaming etc

here's a screen capture
screen%20capture%201x_zpsavl8nz59.jpg

PS - i logged in from the i7-4790 rig for this post

The Tcase temperature of the i7-4790 is 72°C. The processor supports up to 100 Celsius degrees for a small period of time.

More details of the processor specs in the link below
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/4th-gen-core-family-desktop-vol-1-datasheet.pdf

Yes, you should get a better cooler, water cooler is over the top.
Best regards from Sweden

[Edit] How to install a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO on Intel 1150
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n47WBQI31eE"][/video]

Noctua NH-U12P SE2 Installation guide
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKI6l8PUMQw"][/video]

Btw. I have an Intel i7 4790K overclocked to 4.6GHz and in heavy gaming such as BF4, Far Cry 4, Far Cry Primal or the heftiest of them all Crysis 3 - the temp rarely exceeds 56°C.
I have an Antec P193 V3 chassis, very good airflow with 2 120mm fans in front, 2 140mm fans on top, 1 120mm fan at the back + one 200mm fan on the side panel and it is silent, with a CPU cooler Noctua NH-C14 dual 140 mm fans which also cools the surrounding components on my Asus Z-97 Deluxe mobo.

with that many fans i'm surprised your computer hasn't turned into a drone - you're definitely moving some air thru the case

:lol:

kriptkori

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017
it may be the time to replace thermal paste if you haven't replaced it for long time. I think replacing the thermal paste can reduces the tempreature as it should be. Replace thermal paste an clean heatsink from dust if there is dust. If it doesn't solve the problem then I recommend you to use a better cooler.

Yes you are right. First step is to check if dust has become a problem.
Use an air can which can be found on every electronic or computer store for a few bucks. A guide of how to do it:
Even if this is quite funny, he really are doing it perfectly correct (in opposite to my english grammar):
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9T6WGFmam0"][/video]

Best regards from Sweden

kriptkori

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017

A brush is enough to clean heatsink. Your grammar is even terrible than mine :)

hello from turkey

Victor443

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017
Hello guys,

Thank you all for your help !

I think the most probably cause could actually be the thermal paste as kriptkori mentioned, since I haven't replaced it since I bought my CPU at around 6 months ago ?

Do you all also think this could be the problem ?

Not really. Thermal paste doesn't get bad after so short period of time and frankly - I have never replaced this on any build or PC that I have or had in the past, even if the machines has been running for years.

But sure, if the thermal paste from the beginning was poorly and applied wrong or the intel cpu cooler itself is not properly mounted perhaps?

See this excellent instruction and check carefully that the Intel stock cooler is properly mounted.
Install an Intel LGA1150 or LGA1155 CPU Processor as Fast As Possible
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qczGR4KMnY"][/video]

Tom's Applying Thermal Paste, Part One

Best regards from Sweden

Victor443

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017

Thank you very much for that !

I'll try to mount my CPU cooler once again to see what happens.

Victor443

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017
Hey guys, another question. How often do I need to replace my thermal paste, because I saw in some topics in this website that you should replace it everytime you take your cooler / heatsink off to clean or w/e. Is this true ?
I have removed my cooler quite often since I bought my new cpu, so maybe this is the issue ?

kriptkori

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017

havent you replaced the paste yet.
Yes propably it is. it is true. When you remove a cooler I recommend to clean old one and replace the new one. you can see lots of how to vidoes. (I dont understand why take it off often). you installed a new gpu and the new gpu may need more cpu power. so your cpu want to run more. your cpu shuld be running at normal tempreture with stock fan. stock fan is not good but it is enough for game. if trying to strees test your cpu then stock clooler is not enough. I am using 4790k. try what I said. be sure you mount the cooler properly. take it of. clean. replace paste. mount it. and let us know what the result is.

Victor443

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017
Yeah, I will need to go out to buy the paste to replace it, but I do believe this can be the issue as well.

Also, is there a specific paste I should be looking for or can I buy any ?

Thank you !

Victor443

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017
Actually I have one more question. I usually use MSI Afterburner to keep track of my CPU temp and I see it fluctuating frequently(it goes up by 5-10 out of nowhere) it doesn't stay on a certain temp.

Is there a specific reason for this ?

jdcranke07

Honorable

Your CPU is never doing nothing. It always has some task that it needs to take care of and so you can see temp flux at times while it ramps up to take care of that specific task.

For extra cooling and overclocking head room, if you ever got a "K" version, I go water cooling on my CPUs and it has paid off a lot. However, it can be more expensive than a good air cooler. The sound and performance difference between AIO liquid coolers and high end air coolers is really negligible, but I prefer the AIO cooler just because it has a lower profile and typically will perform better at lower fan RPM levels. I personally use a custom water loop cooling solution in my media server with my 4790K and have it overclocked to 4.8Ghz and it never goes above 35'C at idle speeds. When ramped up it will never go above 55-60'C. Currently both of my Xeon E5-2690 0 chips in my workstation, also under a custom water loop, don't go over 33'C at idle and only ramp up to 45-50'C under load on average. Just food for thought.

Solution