[SOLVED] i7 4790 system upgrade looking for experiences/opinions

Hi guys

i currently own a i7 4790 i was wondering if anyone upgraded from this system to a recent platform

What are your experiences, is it noticable?
Anyone else is also welcome two give his two cents

Thanks

Solution
Depends on what you are using it for.

Still a fairly competent general purpose CPU, still a decent gaming CPU.

Your upgrade options are Ryzen 2000 chips which have roughly the same level of performance, but more cores. Ryzen 2600 would be a comparable replacement. Ryzen 2700 would double the core count. Or Ryzen 3000 series which goes quite a bit farther than any Haswell based chips. Up to 12 cores now, with a 16 core chip to be released. On the Intel side, you have really only the high end chips to look at. i7-8700k, i7-9700k, and the i9-9900k as useful replacements. Maybe the i5-9600k if you were after much higher FPS in lighter game titles only (CS:GO). The rest of Intel's lineup doesn't look good next to AMD's cheaper boards and...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on what you are using it for.

Still a fairly competent general purpose CPU, still a decent gaming CPU.

Your upgrade options are Ryzen 2000 chips which have roughly the same level of performance, but more cores. Ryzen 2600 would be a comparable replacement. Ryzen 2700 would double the core count. Or Ryzen 3000 series which goes quite a bit farther than any Haswell based chips. Up to 12 cores now, with a 16 core chip to be released. On the Intel side, you have really only the high end chips to look at. i7-8700k, i7-9700k, and the i9-9900k as useful replacements. Maybe the i5-9600k if you were after much higher FPS in lighter game titles only (CS:GO). The rest of Intel's lineup doesn't look good next to AMD's cheaper boards and overclocking support.

You gain a bit in I/O capabilities such as NVMe storage, maybe Type-C USB if that is useful to you.

Solution
4970 is still a totally fine general use CPU and probably will be for a while. As for gaming it will get the job done with any GPU still, but its starting to show its age there.

Current gen mid teir Intel/AMD CPUs are finally good enough where you would probably have a noticeable increase in performance, just checkout some benchmarks on youtube.

The 9600k or 3600 are probably the lowest I would go and still truly call it an upgrade.