[SOLVED] i7-4790 Won't Post, is it dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2021
Hi,

I recently bought a used i7-4790 from ebay to "upgrade" my old PC to hopefully get some more use out of it. Upon installation and turning on, the PC won't post. Fans and LEDs of the PC will turn on, but I get no beeps or display. Also, the keyboard and mouse do not turn on. Before installing the i7 I made sure to install the latest version of BIOS, so I don't think it is a BIOS issue. After installing the i7, I cleared the CMOS properly. After this, still the same problem. Nothing has changed when I turn on the PC. I'm at a loss considering my motherboard supports the i7 (according to the ASUS motherboard CPU compatibilities list) and due to the fact that the PC works fine when I put the old i3-4330 that was in it previously. Here are my computer specs:

MOBO: Asus H81M-E
CPU: i3-4330 (old) i7-4790 (new) w/ stock cooler
GPU: Gigabyte 1050
RAM: 2 x 8gb DDR3 1600 Mhz 1.35 V
Storage: 1 TB hard drive and 500 GB SSD
PSU: Corsair CX430M

Also, I installed the new BIOS using EZ Flash and through AI Suite 3 just to be positive it wasn't a BIOS issue. Maybe it still is, but I'm still a novice when it comes to PC building. I cleared the CMOS by taking the battery out, holding down the power button for 30s and waiting for 10 min (all while unplugged of course). I've carefully inspected the CPU slot and there are no bent pins and the old i3 still works when I put it back in. I've also tried running the i7 with one stick of RAM and still no cigar.

I've been doing a lot of research and looking through forums and some people have similar issues, but none are exactly the same. My gut tells me the CPU is either dead (or somehow incompatible) or my power supply is insufficient considering the "new" i7 draws more power. There is also a small, tiny chip on the corner of the i7, but it seems pretty superficial and like it shouldn't affect the CPU since it doesn't touch any critical parts of the CPU. The seller on ebay says that it was tested and working before shipping, but who knows. They have a return policy, so I will most likely send it back unless I somehow get it working.

If I left anything out or you need more info please let me know. I would greatly appreciate any help! :)

Solution
Have you been able to verify using the old CPU that the BIOS has been properly updated?

In any case, the PSU is a junky one, but your system doesn't use much power since you're using a GTX 1050, so I don't think that's the specific issue here.
some old asus 8x series chipset needs a really special way to do this, bios update is not the only cause for this motherboard, this post might explain it all:
Hi,

I recently bought a used i7-4790 from ebay to "upgrade" my old PC to hopefully get some more use out of it. Upon installation and turning on, the PC won't post. Fans and LEDs of the PC will turn on, but I get no beeps or display. Also, the keyboard and mouse do not turn on. Before installing the i7 I made sure to install the latest version of BIOS, so I don't think it is a BIOS issue. After installing the i7, I cleared the CMOS properly. After this, still the same problem. Nothing has changed when I turn on the PC. I'm at a loss considering my motherboard supports the i7 (according to the ASUS motherboard CPU compatibilities list) and due to the fact that the PC works fine when I put the old i3-4330 that was in it previously. Here are my computer specs:

MOBO: Asus H81M-E
CPU: i3-4330 (old) i7-4790 (new) w/ stock cooler
GPU: Gigabyte 1050
RAM: 2 x 8gb DDR3 1600 Mhz 1.35 V
Storage: 1 TB hard drive and 500 GB SSD
PSU: Corsair CX430M

Also, I installed the new BIOS using EZ Flash and through AI Suite 3 just to be positive it wasn't a BIOS issue. Maybe it still is, but I'm still a novice when it comes to PC building. I cleared the CMOS by taking the battery out, holding down the power button for 30s and waiting for 10 min (all while unplugged of course). I've carefully inspected the CPU slot and there are no bent pins and the old i3 still works when I put it back in. I've also tried running the i7 with one stick of RAM and still no cigar.

I've been doing a lot of research and looking through forums and some people have similar issues, but none are exactly the same. My gut tells me the CPU is either dead (or somehow incompatible) or my power supply is insufficient considering the "new" i7 draws more power. There is also a small, tiny chip on the corner of the i7, but it seems pretty superficial and like it shouldn't affect the CPU since it doesn't touch any critical parts of the CPU. The seller on ebay says that it was tested and working before shipping, but who knows. They have a return policy, so I will most likely send it back unless I somehow get it working.

If I left anything out or you need more info please let me know. I would greatly appreciate any help! :)
maybe you want to see this solution.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Have you been able to verify using the old CPU that the BIOS has been properly updated?

In any case, the PSU is a junky one, but your system doesn't use much power since you're using a GTX 1050, so I don't think that's the specific issue here.

some old asus 8x series chipset needs a really special way to do this, bios update is not the only cause for this motherboard, this post might explain it all:

Solution
Sep 19, 2021
Yeah, when I go into AI Suite 3 (using the old CPU) it says the BIOS version is the one I updated to. In BIOS, the version I updated to is displayed as well. So, I believe it has been updated. I am using the i3 now. Yeah, you are right about the PSU being junky. Just trying to make this old rig work for what life it has left.

Sep 19, 2021
Thanks for this! I think I can make this work. I will update this thread if I can do it.

Reactions: Koekieezz
Thanks for this! I think I can make this work. I will update this thread if I can do it.
it is just weird that it doesn't work in win 10 and 7 all bit version, then it works on win xp SP3, well for the Intel MEI app just download through the b85m g page, they're the same for all 8x chhipset on win xp, idk why there is no such thing in h81 page tho...

So the thing is just download the Intel Management Engine Interface V9.0.0.1287 for Windows XP from b85m g page, and just follow his method.

Reactions: mikexilva
Apr 14, 2022
Just wanted to thank you all for the help, this stupid bug from Asus never got resolved and I've been using Linux with an intel core i3-4330 for the past 6 years without problems with latest bios update (of course never done a bios update with Windows because I never used Windows with this board H87M-E ) and after buying a used i7-4790 I thought I had a failed CPU so went on and bought another used i7-4790k and had same problem.. so after some research came to this thread that helped to solve the issue.
It's stupid that the bios version is exactly the same reported 2201 (last one available for my board in the past 5 years or so) but flashing it with the windows utility did the trick.
I had a few fights with installing windows XP without CD-Rom (from a USB Pen but after trying 3 utils the Easy2boot worked) onto an HDD (had to change in bios to IDE instead of AHCI to boot XP from HDD) and then had to install the intel Management Engine Interface drivers from another motherboard model because once again Asus didn't have it available for my board and Windows XP.
I don't know if this also happens with other board brands, but I'm much less inclined to choose an asus board in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.