[SOLVED] i7-4790k 100°c after 5sec of benchmark

Apr 30, 2021
Good day, i hope someone can help me with this problem..
I purchased a 2ndhand core i7-4790k online. I trusted the seller cause he got 5 positive feedback. I check first the processor using IPDT and its genuine intel core i7-4790k processor,
And when i play a games i notice its a bit laggy but the game i played is smooth on my core i5 4460.

When i touch the fan, on the side its not that hot. It feel it should be around between 50~60°c like when i compare it on i5, so i read a lot in forums and youtube and follow their guide.

When i check the temp using coretemp the idle temp is around 38~40°c and the temp when i used prime95 reached 100°c in about 5 sec i think, i immediately stop stress test..
My room temp is around 22°c
Heres the SS.

VID drop or core voltage drop to 0.7-0.8 it throttle down cause of heating right? Where it should be somewhere1.12-1.2v

Is it damage or do i need only to delid and replace TIM with liquid metal?

Solution
Stock i7 cooler.

Not all intel stock coolers are Equal. They come in various thicknesses and with a wide variety of fans. the 4th Gen i7 coolers were pretty tall if I remember correctly and had a big fat fan.

If you are using the original stock cooler that came with a 4790K from 8 years ago, and it's been in use all those years, then it is almost certainly time for a new one.
reaching 90-100°C is fairly normal during heavy stress testing.
idling ~40° is also normal unless you have nice aftermarket cooling.

see what temps you reach when running a game or other type of normal CPU intensive application.
when i play a games i notice its a bit laggy but the game i played is smooth on my core i5 4460.
have you done a fresh OS install after the upgrade?

Apr 30, 2021
reaching 90-100°C is fairly normal during heavy stress testing.
idling ~40° is also normal unless you have nice aftermarket cooling.

see what temps you reach when running a game or other type of normal CPU intensive application.
have you done a fresh OS install after the upgrade?
Yes the os is fresh installed..
When i played games the FPS on i7-4790k only 20fps, while in the i5-4460 fps was between 50-60fps.

90-100C is definitely not normal.
i constantly see Prime95 results showing 80-100°C from many users on many forums.
without sufficient case airflow and a nice CPU cooler, this is not much higher than average.

my old 4790K showed similar results even on liquid cooling;
idle ~25°, gaming ~55°, very heavy stress testing ~80-90°C.

When i played games the FPS on i7-4790k only 20fps
definitely not normal if you have any type of decent modern dedicated GPU in a decent system.

With intel stock cooler after removal of the cooler, you have to reset push-pins.
If you don't do that, cooler doesn't make a proper contact with cpu, when you reinstall it.

resettingpushpins4.jpg

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005852/processors.html

Reactions: CompuTronix
Apr 30, 2021
Insufficient. And most likely improperly installed.
Get a better cpu cooler.

Gammaxx 400, CM Hyper 212 evo or similar.
Not newbie in installing processor and cooling fan, so i'm sure there is no issue there.

The stock cooler can handle light game i supposed.
i constantly see Prime95 results showing 80-100°C from many users on many forums.
without sufficient case airflow and a nice CPU cooler, this is not much higher than average.

my old 4790K showed similar results even on liquid cooling;
idle ~25°, gaming ~55°, very heavy stress testing ~80-90°C.

definitely not normal if you have any type of decent modern dedicated GPU in a decent system.
I tried the older version of prime65 that i read in the guide somewhere herein the forum, cause the newer versions give incorrect temp. Right?
The problem is it quickly increased from around 40 to 100°c in about second or 5. And when i immediately stop the stress test, the temp cool down do 48-40 in just a sec or 2/5.

So i want to. Verify if the problem is in the processors fault or TIM dried out and didn't give proper contact on IHS that is what i think, so which is?

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
That is definitely not enough of a cooler for a hard working 4790k
Minimum is a 212 or similar. They will run warm anyway unless you delid, but 100C is excessive regardless.
Still a powerful CPU for an average gamer.

Reactions: Zzurhi
Apr 30, 2021
Apr 30, 2021
Can you show a photo of inside of your pc (with cooler visible)?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Mistakes, when reinstalling Intel stock cooler are pretty common. Very easy to miss them.
Thank you to pointing the problem but i am confident that the cooler was correctly in place. Check it many times..

Apr 30, 2021
Zzurhi,

On behalf of Tom's Hardware Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

Which version of Prime95?

Which Torture Test?

With or without AVX? ... it makes a HUGE difference.

Once again, welcome aboard!

CT :sol:
Thank you for hearing me out. I follow your guide on one of your replied related in over heating i7 4790k, i tried v26.6 and newer version with avx and without, small fft About a sec to 5 quickly reached 100°c

Apr 30, 2021
I get that you don't want to make a photo and find out cooler being installed improperly after bragging about your pc building experience.
Totally understandable. ;)
Sorry if i hurt your feeling, deeply sorry, i'm not bragging, just saying for what i have experience. And i'm in home, the computer is in my work place, can't take picture so instead i used that word to convince you that i know what i am doing here.. thank you for your concern. 👍👍

CompuTronix

Intel Master
If you ran P95 v26.6 Small FFTs, which does not have AVX, then had the same results running the latest version of P95 Small FFTs with all AVX test selections disabled, and if your 4790K is at stock settings in 22°C ambient temperature, even with the stock cooler, the processor should not reach Throttle temperature at 100°C.

XHNNFmQ.jpg

Respectfully, as others have already suggested, please re-check the push-pins on the stock cooler just to be certain that they're all equally and fully inserted completely through the back of the motherboard. We all know how problematic Intel's push-pins can be. Even those of us with a professional level of experience and an eye for detail have gotten it wrong more than once.

Moreover, the push-pins stretch over time and can fail to retain the cooler with adequate contact pressure.

Also, if you're using the correct stock cooler, then it should be the 95 Watt TDP version, not the 65 Watt TDP version. At a glance, they look identical when mounted, but they are easily distinguished from one another by looking at the bottom. Both coolers are all aluminum, except that when viewed from the bottom, the 95 Watt version has a solid round copper insert in the center.

Intel's Processor Specifications website shows that your previous i5-4460 was also boxed with the same 95 Watt TDP stock cooler as the i7-4790K, however, weak push-pins on an all aluminum 65 Watt TDP stock cooler could account for this problem. Perhaps you somehow ended up with a 65 Watt cooler.

Nonetheless, as you suspect, another possibility is highly likely that Intel's pTIM (paste) between the Die and the IHS has dried to the consistency of chalk, which causes it to lose its thermal bond with the top of the Die. This occurs all too often in earlier processors with paste such as the 3770K, 4770K, 4790K, 6700K and even the 7700K, especially if these processors have been overclocked and have been run at high Core temperatures, which accelerates the loss of bond between the paste and the Die due to thermal cycling.

This can be seen when delidding, by closely examining the surface of the Die using a strong light and a magnifier, where the contact pattern of the paste is shown on the surface of the Die. Areas where the paste has lost its thermal bond with the Die appear as "voids" in the pattern, which are mirrored in the surface of the paste on the underside of the IHS, and clearly indicate a loss of thermal conductivity.

Once all other possibilities have been exhausted and fail to solve this issue on your particular 4790K, then the only remaining solution is delidding, which most definitely will solve the problem.

Reactions: Zzurhi
Apr 30, 2021
Thank you i'll be
If you ran P95 v26.6 Small FFTs, which does not have AVX, then had the same results running the latest version of P95 Small FFTs with all AVX test selections disabled, and if your 4790K is at stock settings in 22°C ambient temperature, even with the stock cooler, the processor should not reach Throttle temperature at 100°C.

XHNNFmQ.jpg

Respectfully, as others have already suggested, please re-check the push-pins on the stock cooler just to be certain that they're all equally and fully inserted completely through the back pf the motherboard. We all know how problematic Intel's push-pins can be, and it's so easy to get one pin wrong, that we've all done it more than once.

Moreover, the push-pins stretch over time and can fail to retain the cooler with adequate contact pressure.

Also, if you're using the correct stock cooler, then it should be the 95 Watt TDP version, not the 65 Watt TDP version. At a glance, they look identical when mounted, but they are easily distinguished from one another by looking at the bottom. Both coolers are all aluminum, except that when viewed from the bottom, the 95 Watt version has a solid round copper insert in the center.

Weak push-pins on an aluminum 65 Watt TDP stock cooler could account for this problem.
I'll be here tomorrow, need to rest now GMT+8, i'll follow your instructions tomorrow when i come back to work.
Thank you everyone.