I7-4790k 100 degrees on all cores with a H100i GTX

Lukzeh

Honorable
Jan 7, 2016
Hi,

been meaning to make this for a while. I've noticed recently my fans ramping up very loudly when I play any game, only to find that my CPU on GTA 5 high is 100 degrees on all cores consistently. Obviously I have a good cooler that shouldn't be going anywhere near these temps.

I'm thinking I tightened the bolts on my cooler too much when I reapplied thermal paste a few months back. I recently cleaned my rad with canned air so its not dust causing the issue.

My CPU is on its base clock, overclocking was done previously but I ramped it down a very long time ago

https://gyazo.com/63135ae7c832a59b229518c4945e7f8f?token=87eb285fdc4a492f5777da96b08d30e2

Any recommendations? I'm ordering paste and thermal remover tomorrow to see if what i'm thinking is right with the screws being tightened too much

Solution
I have the H110i GT.

Make sure you have all the connectors in the correct place:

The fan connector should be connected to the primary CPU fan header
The Sata cable needs to be connected to a Sata power cable from your PSU
The USB cable needs to be connected to an internal CPU header.

Make sure your pump is registering a speed in corsair link.To stop the fans ramping up and down change their sensor source from the CPU to the H100 temperature. It may be worth just re-doing the thermal paste to rule poor application out. If that still doesn't work and you are sure the cooling is working, it may be worth replacing the cpu or trying to delid it.

For thermal paste application methods it really doesn't matter too much what shape you...

Barney6262

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
Have you overclocked your cpu?

How much thermal paste did you put on and what type was it?

What does the H110 temp say in corsair link?

Do you feel the pump working/vibrating?

Are either of the pipes particularly hot/cold?

Sam Hain

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
You may have improper thermal paste application at the very least... A drop of the paste in the middle of the CPU will usually do.

It does not take a lot of torque to tighten CPU cooler bolt/screws... One should employ a torque-pattern so that there is an even displacement on the CPU/paste when tightening; start in one corner, then go diagonal to the next corner (not tightening completely, just snug) and repeat with the other two bolts/screws.

Once snug, then go back, using the same torque pattern to tighten slightly only.

I'd inspect your CPU after you clean it, as some thermal pastes (ones that are conductive/contain metals) can cause issues if too much is applied and squeeze out away from the CPU and make contact with anything else and to make sure nothing else is out of the ordinary.

Also make sure if you're cleaning your rad with fans still installed, to hold them in-place and not let the air spin them/potentially over-torgue, plus you'll be able to do a better job of cleaning them.

Make sure to have your pump plugged directly to the PSU, so it's powered/operating at 100% UNLESS your H100i GTX manual states otherwise. If it does not, this will keep the pump running optimally, cycling the H20 back thru the rad at max capacity.

mrmike_49

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
I have an i7-4790K oc'd to 4.6GHz, using a Cooler Master 212

The way I apply thermal paste is
1) Use an anti static wrist strap during th e procedure!!
2) Remove cpu from socket, holding CAREFULLY by the edges
3) use alcohol and cotton swab to remove all old thermal paste
4) Use a magnifying glass to inspect surface for any residue (fibers, paste, etc)
5) Use a credit card to spread paste: IN ALL 4 DIRECTIONS, leaving a THIN coating of paste, so thin that you can almost read the marking on the cpu
6) clean off cooler in same manner
7) apply paste to cooler in same manner, except make sure that last direction is at 90 degrees to last direction on cpu
Note the cc should NOT leave streaks, lines etc.
8 place cooler on cpu, wiggle a TINY bit, then tighten down evenly and gently

Barney6262

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
Please don't apply paste to both the cpu and cooler. You are asking for air bubbles and are likley to put too much on.

Just put a pea shaped-Rice grain size amount of paste in the middle of the cpu and put the cooler ontop.

Lukzeh

Honorable
Jan 7, 2016
No its on base clock

The therm paste was arctic silver mx4 I believe and more than I see a lot of people I think

There are lights coming from the pump but its hard to tell from the other vibrations in the case

the pipes both seem cool, slightly warmed though

Barney6262

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
I have the H110i GT.

Make sure you have all the connectors in the correct place:

The fan connector should be connected to the primary CPU fan header
The Sata cable needs to be connected to a Sata power cable from your PSU
The USB cable needs to be connected to an internal CPU header.

Make sure your pump is registering a speed in corsair link.To stop the fans ramping up and down change their sensor source from the CPU to the H100 temperature. It may be worth just re-doing the thermal paste to rule poor application out. If that still doesn't work and you are sure the cooling is working, it may be worth replacing the cpu or trying to delid it.

For thermal paste application methods it really doesn't matter too much what shape you do(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2MEAnZ3swQ), just use the right amount.

Solution