[SOLVED] i7 4790K 4.6 Ghz Overclocking question

''T6C

Reputable
Mar 12, 2020
1-What is the correct core voltage for 4.6 ghz? Which should be the mod?(adaptive or offset)
2-Should I set ”cpu cache voltage”? otherwise should i do it automatically voltage?
3-Should I set ”cpu cache ratio”? otherwise should i do it automatically ratio?

sorry i have bad english

Solution
Here are a few relationships to understand:

Higher multipliers require higher voltages.
Some chips are better than others in that the voltage required at a given multiplier may be less.

Higher voltages generate more heat.

There is a limit as to what temperatures a chip can tolerate.
A chip will monitor temperatures and will throttle or shut down to protect itself.
That is around 100c.

Sustained operations at high temperatures or voltages will damage your processor and induce premature failure.

So, what to do?
Use a good cooler and case to keep temperatures under control.
85c for a stress test.
75c for continuous operation.
One can have a cpu delidded for more effective temperature control.
(but you take your chances on voiding any...
Every chip is different, so the level of voltage required for 4.6ghz varies. Also, cooling determines how much voltage can safely be used.

Unless you want to overclock the cache, I would leave voltage and clocks at stock. The cache doe not need to be overclocked with the CPU.

''T6C

Reputable
Mar 12, 2020
Every chip is different, so the level of voltage required for 4.6ghz varies. Also, cooling determines how much voltage can safely be used.

Unless you want to overclock the cache, I would leave voltage and clocks at stock. The cache doe not need to be overclocked with the CPU.
Yes, actually, I don't want to overclock the "cache." What about my loss?

Here are a few relationships to understand:

Higher multipliers require higher voltages.
Some chips are better than others in that the voltage required at a given multiplier may be less.

Higher voltages generate more heat.

There is a limit as to what temperatures a chip can tolerate.
A chip will monitor temperatures and will throttle or shut down to protect itself.
That is around 100c.

Sustained operations at high temperatures or voltages will damage your processor and induce premature failure.

So, what to do?
Use a good cooler and case to keep temperatures under control.
85c for a stress test.
75c for continuous operation.
One can have a cpu delidded for more effective temperature control.
(but you take your chances on voiding any warranty and on the quality of the delid job)

Keep the voltage under control.
CPU-Z is an easy monitoring app.
I can't recall the good numbers but I think 1.4v is about the max target; 1.35v is better.

Implement speedstep to lower the voltage and multiplier when the cpu has little to do.

Consider your objective.
How much difference to your app or game will a jump from a 45 multiplier to a 46 really make??

Solution