[SOLVED] i7-4790k 4.7Ghz

tal_1_

Reputable
Dec 19, 2016
Hey, I achieved 4.7Ghz with 1.28V Core.
I have some questions to ensure my stability.

1. I stress tested with HeavyLoad for 12 Hours and it didn't crash but, when I click on the HeavyLoad application (hover my mouse over the open software and clicked on it.. I guess we can call it focusing on the software) it some times stuttered but never crashed.
I tried Aida 64 too and it didn't crash, same for my long gaming sessions, so it means it's stable enough right?

2. When I use Intel Burn Test and Prime95 the temps are skyrocketing to the 95C range, it only happens with these two apps, and with Aida, HeavyLoad I am in the 75C range. What's the problem? I know these too apps are extremely demanding on the CPU. But are the temps a problem?
Some people say to not try to match those apps but I don't know what to do, some say they are over-demanding and not too realistic and if its stable with other stress tests its fine .

3. I currently have the CM Seidon 240P do you think I need to upgrade?

Solution
Intel IBT and prime95 are unrealistic stress testers designed for different purposes than your usage,
IBT runs instructions designed to generate the maximum processor temperatures.
It did exactly that . Prime generates prime numbers.

Your best test is YOUR usage. Since gaming does not gail, you are okd.
You might try a simple stress tester like CPU-Z bench tab.

Run HWmonitor.
If you ever see a temperature of 100c. you will throttle, and that is not good.
85c. on a stress test is ok, and even an ok for gaming or apps.
@tal_1_

It's stable enough (gaming I assume ... 4 hours a day?).

Temperatures are high, but they within acceptable range, especially if it does not crash. We like lower temperatures because the lengthen the life of an integrated circuit. At this point if you only get 5 more years out of your 4790k instead of 10, I think you will be ok with that.

AIO liquid coolers do a great job until the pump fails (or a line gets clogged). I wouldn't upgrade until it isn't doing the job anymore or you get a new CPU.

Reactions: tal_1_

tal_1_

Reputable
Dec 19, 2016
@tal_1_

It's stable enough (gaming I assume ... 4 hours a day?).

Temperatures are high, but they within acceptable range, especially if it does not crash. We like lower temperatures because the lengthen the life of an integrated circuit. At this point if you only get 5 more years out of your 4790k instead of 10, I think you will be ok with that.

AIO liquid coolers do a great job until the pump fails (or a line gets clogged). I wouldn't upgrade until it isn't doing the job anymore or you get a new CPU.
Yea I totally don't care about the life span, I am going to be recruited to the military in 6 month for 2.5 years and I am eventually going to upgrade.

And about the cooling, I shouldn't just upgrade to be "stable" in Prime95 and Intel Burn Test right? I will get around with the Seidon 240P

Intel IBT and prime95 are unrealistic stress testers designed for different purposes than your usage,
IBT runs instructions designed to generate the maximum processor temperatures.
It did exactly that . Prime generates prime numbers.

Your best test is YOUR usage. Since gaming does not gail, you are okd.
You might try a simple stress tester like CPU-Z bench tab.

Run HWmonitor.
If you ever see a temperature of 100c. you will throttle, and that is not good.
85c. on a stress test is ok, and even an ok for gaming or apps.

Last edited:
Reactions: tal_1_
Solution