Question i7 4790K and games made for PS5/XSX

Dec 19, 2019
Hi everyone.

I was wondering, I have an i7 4790K for some years now and it's still a beast for gaming. At least for current gen games.

But how about next gen games for PS5 / XSX? Their CPUs will likely have 16 threads and the i7 4790K has 8 threads.

My question is: Are games made with 16 threads in mind going to run just fine on my CPU or will I need to upgrade to a 16 thread cpu so I don't have any sort of serious performance issues?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Best wait for reviews/benchmarks once games are released for next gen consoles and PC to help make a better informed decision.

Compared to top end systems now, i doubt next Playstation/Xbox would come close, consoles never do.

Dec 19, 2019
Best wait for reviews/benchmarks once games are released for next gen consoles and PC to help make a better informed decision.

Compared to top end systems now, i doubt next Playstation/Xbox would come close, consoles never do.

Yeah, I guess. I was thinking of upgrading to a Ryzen 7 3XXX or Core i9, as both have 16 threads, but my i7 is still handling games pretty well and the fps gain, specially when playing in 4K, for titles available right now doesn't justify the cost.

If I had the same performance gain I had when I moved from the i5 4590 to the i7 4790K on very demanding CPU games like Battlefield or Mafia 3 I'd consider upgrading, but on every test I saw, that's just not the case.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on frame rates a lot too in busy games. There's a good chunk of fps pre-rendering the cpu needs to do that leads to increased usage if gpu is good enough to output so many at whichever res.

If you're happy with your cpu id wait until youre not. It is long in the tooth we both would agree but can't ignore it's still very capable.

Dec 19, 2019
Depends on frame rates a lot too in busy games. There's a good chunk of fps pre-rendering the cpu needs to do that leads to increased usage if gpu is good enough to output so many at whichever res.

If you're happy with your cpu id wait until youre not. It is long in the tooth we both would agree but can't ignore it's still very capable.

Yeah, I guess I'll save my money. Wait to see what happens once the next gen games arrive.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I think wait till DDR5 platforms arrive, toward end of 2020 will hear more about it's release if not sooner. That and PCIe5. Hoping early 2021, maybe slightly before. Around this time it's all going to be happening. Next gen starts there i reckon.