Question i7 4790K and GTX 1060 bottleneck

odiukurac70

Honorable
Dec 12, 2017
Today I upgraded my cpu from an i5 4590 to an i7 4790K. It all seemed to have been working fine until I loaded up The Last Of Us. I waited for shaders to build again and continued the game. Then I saw that there was no difference whatsoever between the old cpu and the new one. Gpu utilization was 60-70% while playing, there were stutters and it ran at about 25 fps. What bothers me though is that I saw from other people that this cpu works well with my setup on YouTube especially with The Last Of Us, it ran well above my fps without stutters. Can anybody help me out? I just spent 70 bucks and don't wanna let it go to waste. Something can't be right if it works the same as my i5 did.

odiukurac70

Honorable
Dec 12, 2017
full system spec?
I figured it out finally, I had to go in msconfig and untick the box in advanced option of max processors (which was 4 before I did the following). Then I restarted the pc and could select 4 instead of 8. Now it works properly. The pc didn't register the cpu as if it had 4 cores and 8 threads I guess. But now I have another problem. Temps are really REALLY high. It's 90 celsius under 100% load and about 45 on idle. Tried reappling paste, tried removing the cooler and mounting it again just in case it wasn't seated well (at least 3 times), tried turning off turbo boost, tried undervolting, nothing helped by much. Had a similair problem with my i5 when I first bought it, but realized the problem was with the cooler not being seated properly, I highly doubt this is the problem now though, because as I said I checked it at least 3 times, but who knows. But I guess I should move this to another topic. Or maybe I could message you if you could help me out.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
i7-4790k didn't come with a stock cooler, so you are using the i5 rated cooler which would be too small regardless. So you might see some limited throttling.

i7-4770k was the last K chip to come with a stock cooler, which was a quite thick stock Intel cooler. (Worked wonders on my i3 for many years)

odiukurac70

Honorable
Dec 12, 2017
i7-4790k didn't come with a stock cooler, so you are using the i5 rated cooler which would be too small regardless. So you might see some limited throttling.

i7-4770k was the last K chip to come with a stock cooler, which was a quite thick stock Intel cooler. (Worked wonders on my i3 for many years)
Is it for sure the cooler's problem? I saw a video of a guy using the stock intel cooler and never going above 75 celsius on full load, I just don't understand how could I be getting around 90 then. I just don't want to spend more cash if I can do something regarding the temps without spending. Maybe the cooler's loose again like it was on my i5?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Is it for sure the cooler's problem? I saw a video of a guy using the stock intel cooler and never going above 75 celsius on full load, I just don't understand how could I be getting around 90 then. I just don't want to spend more cash if I can do something regarding the temps without spending. Maybe the cooler's loose again like it was on my i5?

Monitor your temperatures and find out.

That guy's video is only helpful if you know the case airflow, ambient temperature, and what settings they used in the BIOS for core voltage. 68F room and an open bench will have quite different results from a 74F room and a chassis with no front intake fans.

It's a good idea to get rid of the stock cooler period. There are a lot of really good low cost coolers available, especially if your case has room for a tower cooler. Without knowing where you live it'd be hard to say exactly what would be best to look at, but in the US the Thermalright Assassin is around $20 and will more than do the job.

odiukurac70

Honorable
Dec 12, 2017
It's a good idea to get rid of the stock cooler period. There are a lot of really good low cost coolers available, especially if your case has room for a tower cooler. Without knowing where you live it'd be hard to say exactly what would be best to look at, but in the US the Thermalright Assassin is around $20 and will more than do the job.
Which are best from here?

odiukurac70

Honorable
Dec 12, 2017
It's really unfortunate that they don't have lower priced ones as you really don't need a powerful cooler. That Zalman CNPS9X Optima should get the job done just fine.

Edit: if you had plans to overclock your CPU then moving up to the Be Quiet Pure Rock 2/Arctic i35 might be worthwhile.
Ok, are you sure that the zalman one is enough though? If I get 90 celsius with stock, how much should I get with this one? I plan on running it with turbo boost on (4.4GHz).

Ok, are you sure that the zalman one is enough though? If I get 90 celsius with stock, how much should I get with this one? I plan on running it with turbo boost on (4.4GHz).
Yes the Zalman is enough as those processors don't permanently boost like modern ones do (unless you are overclocking). You only need to get something better if you plan on changing from stock settings which would mean higher constant power consumption.

It's impossible to say what exactly you'll get temps wise, but the CPU is 88W TDP so even if you add 50% for boost you're still only looking at 132W. The stock coolers were never very good, but depending on the type you have it could be atrocious because Intel ditched using a copper core for many of them.

Right now Thermalright and Deepcool have the best inexpensive new coolers, but that relies on availability.

Reactions: odiukurac70

odiukurac70

Honorable
Dec 12, 2017
Yes the Zalman is enough as those processors don't permanently boost like modern ones do (unless you are overclocking). You only need to get something better if you plan on changing from stock settings which would mean higher constant power consumption.

It's impossible to say what exactly you'll get temps wise, but the CPU is 88W TDP so even if you add 50% for boost you're still only looking at 132W. The stock coolers were never very good, but depending on the type you have it could be atrocious because Intel ditched using a copper core for many of them.

Right now Thermalright and Deepcool have the best inexpensive new coolers, but that relies on availability.
Ok, then, guess I’ll try out a new cooler. Also saw some people doing a delid on this cpu to get better and way cooler temps, not sure how that works though. But I just don’t feel like the cooler would do much difference for my situation as the cpu is like 95-98 celsius on full load. I feel like there’s some other problem with it. But I’ll listen to you, I just hope my 30 bucks don’t go to waste.

Ok, then, guess I’ll try out a new cooler. Also saw some people doing a delid on this cpu to get better and way cooler temps, not sure how that works though. But I just don’t feel like the cooler would do much difference for my situation as the cpu is like 95-98 celsius on full load. I feel like there’s some other problem with it. But I’ll listen to you, I just hope my 30 bucks don’t go to waste.
You shouldn't need to delid that CPU, or any CPU honestly, unless you're overclocking.

Just to make sure since you've said stock cooler you're talking something like this right?
i5_4590_haswell_cpu_4th_generation_with_unused_stock_cooler_intel_1488445733_826077db.jpg