Question i7 4790k Asus Z97- Assistance needed to overclock a little

mkanet2

Honorable
Mar 14, 2015
I have an i7 4790k CPU with Noctua NH-L12 cooler and Asus Z97 Deluxe motherboard. It is currently running at 4.4Ghz using a stock XMP profile (1600MHz RAM). No fancy voltage settings in the BIOS.

Could someone please be kind enough to tell me the easiest dummy-proof step-by-step instructions to change the speed to 4.5Ghz (and also 4.6Ghz) in my Asus Z97 BIOS?

I read that the voltage needs to be set to 1.2v? or 1.3v?. I'm not sure which one to use and where to change that setting. I don't want to risk instability.

Currently, I just have the default XMP profile enabled. In Windows, the power settings are 100% minimum power state 100% maximum power state so the speed is always locked at 4.4Ghz.

Last edited:

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Enter BIOS and search for the overclocking tab (in case there is none just look for the parameters I will set with "" later on). Set "OC Explore Mode" to "Expert", set "CPU Ratio Aply Mode" to "All Cores", set "CPU Ratio" t o 45(4.5GHz) or 46(4.6GHz). Set "CPU Ratio Mode" to "Fixed", set "CPU Core Voltage Mode" to "Override", set "CPU Core Voltage" to 1.35. That's it now start system and see fi you experience any problems/bsods, go back to bios and inceaser the "CPU Core voltage" further but do it carefully . Only increase by 0,05 each time so if you started at 1.35 increase to 1.40. Good way to know for sure if ur oc is ok is to run cpu stress test like occt, with hwinfo in the background measuring the temperatures (anything above 85 degree celcius is bad). If you cannot reach the designated goal within reasonable temperatures there are a couple of options, look into less important bios options while overclocking but be vary that while thay might allow you to reach ur goal they will also dim the effectiveness of ur oc. Increasie quality/power of ur cpu cooling and lastly make sure our PSU can actually do the job, for example if you bought a psu that's barealy able to produce enoguh power for the system as it is it may be insufficient for running overclocked system.

mkanet2

Honorable
Mar 14, 2015
Enter BIOS and search for the overclocking tab (in case there is none just look for the parameters I will set with "" later on). Set "OC Explore Mode" to "Expert", set "CPU Ratio Aply Mode" to "All Cores", set "CPU Ratio" t o 45(4.5GHz) or 46(4.6GHz). Set "CPU Ratio Mode" to "Fixed", set "CPU Core Voltage Mode" to "Override", set "CPU Core Voltage" to 1.35. That's it now start system and see fi you experience any problems/bsods, go back to bios and inceaser the "CPU Core voltage" further but do it carefully . Only increase by 0,05 each time so if you started at 1.35 increase to 1.40. Good way to know for sure if ur oc is ok is to run cpu stress test like occt, with hwinfo in the background measuring the temperatures (anything above 85 degree celcius is bad). If you cannot reach the designated goal within reasonable temperatures there are a couple of options, look into less important bios options while overclocking but be vary that while thay might allow you to reach ur goal they will also dim the effectiveness of ur oc. Increasie quality/power of ur cpu cooling and lastly make sure our PSU can actually do the job, for example if you bought a psu that's barealy able to produce enoguh power for the system as it is it may be insufficient for running overclocked system.

Thank you for offering to help. There is no setting "OC Explore mode" in Asus Z97 Deluxe motherboard BIOS. I already have the latest BIOS version.

The actual problem is that ALL CPU ratio settings are set to auto.... and won't let me change these settings; even after changing "OC Tuner" to "Ratio Tuning" mode, disabling Turbo Mode, and EPU Power Savings Mode.

I'm starting from all the BIOS default settings. I just need to know the minimum setting(s) that allows me to actually make changes to CPU ratio starting from BIOS default settings.

Last edited:

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
I did some digging for clues as I do not have ur particular motherboard nor other one with same chipset/bios on my hands so maybe now I have a better idea on whats up.
First In AI Tweaker go into Internal CPU Power Management and disable both Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology and Turbo Mode. Go back and set AI Overclock Tuner to manual, disable EPU Power Saving Mode. Go to DIGI+ VRM and set CPU Load-line Calibration to level 8. Go back and set CPU Core Ratio to Sync All Cores and CPU Core Voltage to manual. No only thing left to do should be setting 1 Core Ratio Limit to 45 or 46 (depending on if you want 4,5GHz or 4,6Ghz) and CPU Core Voltage Override to 1.35 or other starting voltage you are comfortable with. If you still are unable to progress somehow sadly I give up.