i7-4790k Build or i7-5820k Build?

DeputyJake

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
Hey guys,

I've been interested in the i7-4790k for awhile and made a build for it. but after realizing the i7-5820k was only $20 more I planned on just getting that. However, I then realized I would have to change the motherboard and ram on the i7-4790k build I had before because they aren't compatible with the i7-5820k, so the price got bumped up a little more than I wanted. Anyways, what I am asking is: Is it worth it to go ahead and spend the extra money on the i7-5820k build listed below, or should I stick with the i7-4790k?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Here are the builds:
i7-4790k Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DeputyJake/saved/nqNTwP
i7-5820k Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XkFRbv

Thanks,
DeputyJake

UPDATE: I will mostly be gaming with this computer, but do plan on doing some video editing.

Solution

It really comes down to what you're comfortable spending Jake. If you're okay spending the extra money now and you don't want to have regrets later, the 5820 / X99 platform will be the way to go...

BadBoyGreek

Distinguished

For the best all-around performance and future proofing, the six cores of the 5820 would be the way to go, but this depends on just how much you plan to use it as a workstation. If you're going to be doing 90% gaming and maybe "some" video editing / encoding, then the price premium over the 4790k may not be worth it. DDR4 RAM is still ridiculously expensive.

If you're going to make equal use of it as a workstation and a gaming machine, and you can afford it, by all means, go for the 5820 platform. More and more applications are taking advantage of multi-threading and the more cores, the better overall. But if you're going primarily for gaming, stay with the 4790k.

BadBoyGreek

Distinguished

Between 4 and 6 cores, there is absolutely a difference in terms of future proofing. Since there are clock speed limitations on CPUs, multi-threading is the way to get increased performance and more and more companies are moving towards optimizing their software to take advantage of this.

Yes, BUT, using the word future proofing is like saying We lost but we were close when you lost 0 - 6..

Will it be better later, maybe, extended life, maybe. But future proofing really means nothing unless you put it into context

But ddr3 will be very relevant for a long time.. There is little need to move to ddr4/x99 because current games and other games just don't need those resources

BadBoyGreek

Distinguished

In the case of the OP, we weren't suggesting that he "needs" those extra 2 cores, or that he "needs" DDR4. It really comes down to what the machine will be purposed for. If it's going to be predominantly for gaming, then no need to go to the 5820. However, given that there was talk of video editing etc., depending how much will be done, the extra cores could be worth the investment. More cores and faster DDR4 RAM would be much better suited to those tasks, completing them in less time than 4 cores would.

For context, look at things from a business perspective with servers - more cores would be future proofing because you could add more virtual servers within the existing platform, increase the core count on existing boxes if needed and so on. The same holds true in the workstation space - more available resources means the flexibility to do more within the existing footprint. It's just a question of whether the extra investment will be fully utilized to make it worthwhile. But higher core / thread counts are definitely the future; chip makers wouldn't be investing so heavily in producing chips with higher core counts otherwise.

DeputyJake

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
Thanks for all the help guys. So, basically what you're all saying is that it depends on what I'm going to be doing with the computer. As of now, I won't be doing a lot of editing, but would definitely like to have the capability of doing it. So, on that note it seems that the i7-4790k would be better to go with. The only thing is, I don't want to look back in 2 years wishing that I would have spent the extra $90. Because if I have to upgrade, it's going to cost a lot more due to having to upgrade the CPU, Motherboard and RAM.

BadBoyGreek

Distinguished

It really comes down to what you're comfortable spending Jake. If you're okay spending the extra money now and you don't want to have regrets later, the 5820 / X99 platform will be the way to go, especially if you anticipate you'll be doing increasingly thread dependent tasks like editing and it will push back your need to upgrade again down the road. If you're constrained by budget and would prefer to save the extra money and don't think you'll be doing a lot of editing, stay within the 4790k / Z97 platform.

Whichever way you go, definitely get an SSD for your boot drive as suggested by 0x1eef - I overlooked the fact that it wasn't on your build plan :)

Solution

You sir, are amazing. +1 to that.

Also, 4790k beats the 5820k in gaming. That will be like it for a while until devs decide to use more cores. Which is not needed since most games use 3 cores max..

DeputyJake

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

Yeah, I guess I should get a SSD.. Which one's better, the Samsung 840 Evo 250gb vs Crucial MX100 256gb?

Again, thank you guys for all your help!

BadBoyGreek

Distinguished

The Samsung currently uses the fastest controller on the market, but in most real world scenarios, you would be hard pressed to notice a significant difference in performance between the two. Either would give you blazing fast performance.

0x1eef

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015

From these two I'd choose MX100.
If you can afford 850 Evo, buy it instead.