Question i7-4790K HD Graphics 4600 driver crashes/freezes Windows ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arun05

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
I have the i7-4790k and MSI z97 gaming 5(bios updated)
The system freezes when igpu driver is installed on windows 10 64bit (windows update/MSI website/intel DSA Tool)
Using a 1TB WD Blue HDD and Corsair vengeance 1600mhz 2x8gb
Tried with different HDD, different set of ram sticks and different PSU also cpu temps are also good all hardware seems to be fine

system works fine with Microsoft basic display adapter

But won’t pass audio via HDMI
Won’t let me change resolution to 1440p or 4k
No option for custom aspect ratio to adjust the top,bottom,left and right if the screen

Any idea how to fix it?

You can try this:
Download the driver from the manufacturer’s website and save it on your local disk.
Right click on the setup file of the driver and select “Properties”.
Select “Compatibility” Tab.
Place a check mark next to “Run this program in Compatibility mode” and select operating system from the drop down list.
Let the driver install and then check the functionality.

Reactions: Arun05

Arun05

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
You can try this:
Download the driver from the manufacturer’s website and save it on your local disk.
Right click on the setup file of the driver and select “Properties”.
Select “Compatibility” Tab.
Place a check mark next to “Run this program in Compatibility mode” and select operating system from the drop down list.
Let the driver install and then check the functionality.
Im using Windows 10 21H2 so should I select Windows 8 or windows 7 in the drop down as the drop down does not contain windows 10

Arun05

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
I am a little bit confused: for your motherboard MSI has a VGA driver for Win 10 64 here
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z97-GAMING-5/support#down-driver&Win10 64
Select Driver, than your OS than On-board VGA driver.
Is this the one you try to use ?
Tried using mine from MSI website also via windows update also via intel driver support assistant same result reinstalled OS multiple times but the same result once installing igpu driver via all these means just ends up freezing the system tried restarting and as soon as I login got windows it freezes but works fine on safe mode and works without freezing with windows basic display adapter

Arun05

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
Have you tried going in to device manage, right clicking on Intel hd graphics and try updating driver? Or Uninstalling reinstalling driver?
?
Yes I did try removing them via safe mode and used device manager and also windows update and intel driver support assistant all same result

I have a HP prebuilt with an i5 4th gen that just works fine no such issues

Apr 4, 2022
Have you had any luck in sorting your problem?

I've found this thread as I have exactly the same problem except I'm testing a 4790k in an HP 800 G1 SFF & a Dell Optiplex 7020 SFF with Windows 10 x64. Overclocking isn't the aim: I just want the performance increase that this cpu has as standard.

The result is the same with either: as soon as the Intel video driver is installed everything freezes up within 30 seconds or so but will work in either Safe Mode or with the 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' driver installed. I've tried various versions of the Intel driver from Intel, HP and Dell respectively but always get the same results.

I can boot a PE based rescue environment and run stress tests and all seems ok but if I try to boot an Ubuntu Linux iso it freezes as with the Intel driver in Windows even if I select the 'safe graphics' option.

As I wrote this, it got me thinking: Since this freezing is a symptom of too much undervolting, could the Intel driver be doing just that and either the 4790k doesn't like it or my individual example is degraded slightly and can't cope....?

To test this, I've installed 'ThrottleStop' and overvolted the 'CPU Core', 'Intel GPU' and 'CPU Cache' by 85mV and it finally runs without issue. The trickiest part was getting ThrottleStop to start quickly enough - if done manually the system would often freeze too quickly to logon and start ThrottleStop so I've got Task Scheduler running it as 'System' user at startup rather than logon and it seems to be reliable. Now I'm going to reduce the voltages to the lowest level that I can get away with - maybe I'll just need to increase the Core or GPU voltage alone.

If it freezes, the way to change ThrottleStop is to start in Safe Mode and edit the ThrottleStop.ini file directly - fiddly but it works. In theory I'd use Intel XTU but apparently there are problems with making the settings load at startup so I haven't tried this.

Ultimately I'd like to try to unlock hidden menus in the HP BIOS and make these adjustments there but don't know if it's possible - any advice welcome but I figure it's a subject worthy of a separate thread - unless anyone is aware of a way to control the amount of undervolting performed by the Intel driver at all?

All the testing is being done on the Optiplex 7020 at the moment but I want to end up with the 4790k in the HP.

Hope this helps.

Arun05

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
Have you had any luck in sorting your problem?

I've found this thread as I have exactly the same problem except I'm testing a 4790k in an HP 800 G1 SFF & a Dell Optiplex 7020 SFF with Windows 10 x64. Overclocking isn't the aim: I just want the performance increase that this cpu has as standard.

The result is the same with either: as soon as the Intel video driver is installed everything freezes up within 30 seconds or so but will work in either Safe Mode or with the 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' driver installed. I've tried various versions of the Intel driver from Intel, HP and Dell respectively but always get the same results.

I can boot a PE based rescue environment and run stress tests and all seems ok but if I try to boot an Ubuntu Linux iso it freezes as with the Intel driver in Windows even if I select the 'safe graphics' option.

As I wrote this, it got me thinking: Since this freezing is a symptom of too much undervolting, could the Intel driver be doing just that and either the 4790k doesn't like it or my individual example is degraded slightly and can't cope....?

To test this, I've installed 'ThrottleStop' and overvolted the 'CPU Core', 'Intel GPU' and 'CPU Cache' by 85mV and it finally runs without issue. The trickiest part was getting ThrottleStop to start quickly enough - if done manually the system would often freeze too quickly to logon and start ThrottleStop so I've got Task Scheduler running it as 'System' user at startup rather than logon and it seems to be reliable. Now I'm going to reduce the voltages to the lowest level that I can get away with - maybe I'll just need to increase the Core or GPU voltage alone.

If it freezes, the way to change ThrottleStop is to start in Safe Mode and edit the ThrottleStop.ini file directly - fiddly but it works. In theory I'd use Intel XTU but apparently there are problems with making the settings load at startup so I haven't tried this.

Ultimately I'd like to try to unlock hidden menus in the HP BIOS and make these adjustments there but don't know if it's possible - any advice welcome but I figure it's a subject worthy of a separate thread - unless anyone is aware of a way to control the amount of undervolting performed by the Intel driver at all?

All the testing is being done on the Optiplex 7020 at the moment but I want to end up with the 4790k in the HP.

Hope this helps.
I was advised by another person to overvolt the igpu to fix the issue but i do not know how to and where to in the z97 gaming 5 bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS