I7-4790K Heat problems

aholland1432

Prominent
Sep 1, 2017
My idle temps run at about 45C and my running temps will go up to 100C. Looking for some help as it was working fine and running 30C idle and 72C under full load less then a week ago.

Asus Z97-A
I7-4790K
Corsair GTX H100i
Vampier 900W power supply
2x8gb of corsair vengeance
All ran on windows 10

Solution

If only one side is warm after the coolant is up to temp I'd say the pump failed or some other issue.

Just because it is spinning doesn't mean it is pumping efficiently.

aholland1432

Prominent
Sep 1, 2017

I bought it off someone and they had had it for about a year or a little more now. They never overclocked it. And nothing else really changed.

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017

15C is a pretty big jump in a few days...

I would try replacing the thermal paste and cleaning the radiator. I can't really see that causing such a big jump in the absence of anything else though. Your usage and everything is exactly the same, just the temp is higher?

Did you check all of your case fans?

Are you using software fan control like SpeedFan?

100c is deadly dude. Don't run it anymore if it gets above 70-80.

Maybe it needs new thermal paste, perhaps the room temperature has changed recently?

One trick is that if your case allows: you can remove drive bays that aren't in use, which significantly helps airflow. Try cleaning case/fans with compressed air.

Check and make sure clock speeds are still default.

100 degrees is the throttling temp so your cooler is not doing it's job.

While case airflow is important, short of all the airways suddenly having gotten clogged with a pet cat or something you're issues likely don't stem from that. Check thermal compound as suggested. Check the fans on the radiator, if they're not spinning you're not going to get much in the way of cooling, and a seized up bearing in a fan is easy enough to have happen. Check your CPU settings like Computers Taste Like Metal suggested, if you're doing an overclock something could have gotten fouled up in a setting.

That said, off the cuff I'm guessing one of two things.
1. The pump on the Corsair may have bitten the dust. As AIO's are want to do after a few years and the Corsairs have had more than their share of it happening to them.
2. Your PSU might not be giving your AIO enough power. Raidmax PSU's are not exactly the most well built and it's possible the power isn't going where it's supposed to. Try testing your system with a different PSU. If you have a spare PSU or a buddy who'll loan you theirs it'll save you a trip to the hardware aisle.

aholland1432

Prominent
Sep 1, 2017
I actually completely cleaned out all the dust. Reverted to stock settings changed my fans to run at 100 at all times. Changed thermal paste. I have tried all of that. The pump is running I watch the rpms using corsair link. I will try to find a psu.

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017

How old is the AIO? Is it possible that it is low on coolant?

aholland1432

Prominent
Sep 1, 2017

I think its about a year and a half but the temp on it only gets up to 60 max when the cpu runs really high

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017

Just the time it took for the parts and coolant to get saturated probably.

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017

If only one side is warm after the coolant is up to temp I'd say the pump failed or some other issue.

Just because it is spinning doesn't mean it is pumping efficiently.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS