i7 4790K high temperatures

CaptainSaint

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
So the i7 4790K is about 50-60°C idle, when it reaches to about 60-70% it's 70-80°C. When I'm doing prime95 v2.66 Small FFT test, it reaches to 90-100°C. I have turbo mode enabled. I have tried reapplying the thermal paste, but still same results. My ambient room temperature is somewhere above 20°C.

Specs:
Asus Maximus Ranger VII
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

Solution
Try tightening the center screw on the 212 evo, the one where the braces intersect under the cooling fins. It helps apply a bit more pressure to the cpu to ensure better contact. Also try checking using software like hwinfo64 and see what the core voltage is reading. If everything is on auto it may be applying more core voltage than you need (which adds to temps).

Those temps are pretty high at idle if the room's only around 20c. Right now my pc room is 34c and my haswell i5 is 55-60c at 40%. It's oc'd with a better cooler and the i7 likely runs a couple degrees hotter due to hyper threading but with ambient temps much lower and at 0-1% (idle) your cpu should be closer to 35-40c.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What cooler are you using? What's the airflow like in your case? (which case, what fans, what orientation etc).

Prime puts an unrealistic strain on chips these days (even for a stress), but your idle temps are definitely concerning.

What does "somewhere above 20'C" mean? Is it right around 20'C? (maybe 21)..... "above 20'C" doesn't really narrow it down much.... lots of numbers above 20 :lol:

CaptainSaint

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017

The cooler is Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, I have 1 front fan blowing air in, 1 rear fan and 2 top fans blowing air out. My case is Zalman Z3 Plus. Room temperature is about 21°C.

Try tightening the center screw on the 212 evo, the one where the braces intersect under the cooling fins. It helps apply a bit more pressure to the cpu to ensure better contact. Also try checking using software like hwinfo64 and see what the core voltage is reading. If everything is on auto it may be applying more core voltage than you need (which adds to temps).

Those temps are pretty high at idle if the room's only around 20c. Right now my pc room is 34c and my haswell i5 is 55-60c at 40%. It's oc'd with a better cooler and the i7 likely runs a couple degrees hotter due to hyper threading but with ambient temps much lower and at 0-1% (idle) your cpu should be closer to 35-40c.

Solution

CaptainSaint

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017

The voltages are on auto and it's showing about 1,2V. I'll try reapplying thermal paste and also I'm gonna try tightening the screw.