i7-4790k how worried should i be ?

Aug 15, 2014
So hello and good job on the site/community. I got this new system that i built 2 days ago with
i7-4790k
z97-d3h mobo
asus gtx 770
g skill ripjaws 8gig

so i mounted an akasa venom pico on the cpu and and started to monitor the temperatures on the cpu while on gaming and while on idle, for idle i get an average of 35 degrees when i start up the computer and up to an hour or two and idle temperature after heavy gaming load (when i quit the game) goes down to an average of 39 to 40 degrees (5 hours of gaming load or so). Now for gaming load under mid usage of cpu ~60% i get degrees up to 60 and spiking to 70 for an instant. For gaming load at about 80% + (battlefield 4) my temperatures are about 70 and up to 78-80 some times. How normal is that ? Also got to add that my case is a bit small, cable management is done good though, also the thermal paste i applied was the standard one that comes with akasa coolers. When using prime95 test i get temperatures starting at about 90 and going up until i close the program at about 95+ degrees. My volt under idle is at 1.311 and under prime it gets up to 1.38 or so. From different threads i found online i came to a conclusion that my cpu is running about 5-10 degrees hotter than it should be, i may be wrong on that. Also my ambient temperature of the room is at 26-27C

after seeing just now some things i also can see that my gpu is only using 2 cores / 4 threads so the other 2 cores/4 threads seem disabled. How can i enable the other 2 ? That finding just gave me the chills :S I also got z97 mobo so a guide for the bios would be great!

Drew010

Honorable
May 11, 2013
5-10C is nothing to worry about unless you are in the mid-upper 90s. You are fine.

EDIT: Prime95 is basically useless for Haswell CPUs since it produces absolutely absurd heat that would cause even a stock CPU on the stock cooler to overheat.

Could you post a screenshot? By the way, can I ask what batch number your CPU is? I've read that the ones beginning with L3 are more prone to heat/voltage issues than the L4's for instance.