i7-4790K Load Temps

Should the 4790K run hotter than the 4690K at stock speed?

I had a 4690K that I could run at stock and it would only reach 60C on occasion while gaming for extended periods.

Now I installed a 4790K and it has been running hot since. I've removed/reapplied/reseated the cooler multiple times, sometimes getting better temps. Used less/more thermal paste.

But the load temps are hitting 75C+ after only 10-15mins of gameplay.

I have an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 that I used on both CPUs. It worked great with the 4690K, but not so great with the 4790K.

I looked a couple times after removing the cooler to see that the thermal paste hadn't been spread evenly, as if there wasn't an even contact. I think thats the cheap heatsink that only has 2 screws to hold it down to the bracket.

Should I get a better aftermarket cooler? I don't have a stock cooler or else I'd try it.

Luminary

Admirable
Nov 29, 2015
I think thats the cheap heatsink that only has 2 screws to hold it down to the bracket.

Should I get a better aftermarket cooler?

Almost certainly yes.

If your heatsink is no longer making good contact you need to replace it. You don't have to break the bank to get a better cooler. The Cryorig H7 should do much better job at keeping your temps down:

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $34.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-02 20:54 EDT-0400

Thanks. I'd been looking at some coolers, just didn't know which one to get. From the reviews that one looks like it will fit my MicroATX mobo.

Thanks again. I got the CRYORIG H7 installed and there is a great difference. Now it stays well below 60C while playing BF1 with turbo boost enabled. A much bigger/better cooler that even fits my MicroATX mobo in a mid-tower case. A very impressive design and quality.