i7-4790K Load Temps

Should the 4790K run hotter than the 4690K at stock speed?

I had a 4690K that I could run at stock and it would only reach 60C on occasion while gaming for extended periods.

Now I installed a 4790K and it has been running hot since. I've removed/reapplied/reseated the cooler multiple times, sometimes getting better temps. Used less/more thermal paste.

But the load temps are hitting 75C+ after only 10-15mins of gameplay.

I have an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 that I used on both CPUs. It worked great with the 4690K, but not so great with the 4790K.

I looked a couple times after removing the cooler to see that the thermal paste hadn't been spread evenly, as if there wasn't an even contact. I think thats the cheap heatsink that only has 2 screws to hold it down to the bracket.

Should I get a better aftermarket cooler? I don't have a stock cooler or else I'd try it.

Solution
I think thats the cheap heatsink that only has 2 screws to hold it down to the bracket.

Should I get a better aftermarket cooler?

Almost certainly yes.

If your heatsink is no longer making good contact you need to replace it. You don't have to break the bank to get a better cooler. The Cryorig H7 should do much better job at keeping your temps down:

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $34.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-02 20:54 EDT-0400

Luminary

Admirable
I think thats the cheap heatsink that only has 2 screws to hold it down to the bracket.

Should I get a better aftermarket cooler?

Almost certainly yes.

If your heatsink is no longer making good contact you need to replace it. You don't have to break the bank to get a better cooler. The Cryorig H7 should do much better job at keeping your temps down:

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $34.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-02 20:54 EDT-0400

Solution

Thanks. I'd been looking at some coolers, just didn't know which one to get. From the reviews that one looks like it will fit my MicroATX mobo.

Thanks again. I got the CRYORIG H7 installed and there is a great difference. Now it stays well below 60C while playing BF1 with turbo boost enabled. A much bigger/better cooler that even fits my MicroATX mobo in a mid-tower case. A very impressive design and quality.