I7-4790k Multiplier Clock won't throttle lower then x40

Svvamprat

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
Using CPU-Z, Aida64 and Intel Extreme it shows my I7-4790k Core Clock multiplier at x40.0 (8 - 44). It stays at x40 multiplier at idle and doesn't move except to turbo to x44 or higher when overclocking. Speedstep off or on it won't throttle down lower then x40. When I first got the chip a few weeks back it would throttle down to x8 on idle and the vcore would be something like 0.780v. I played around with some settings to overclock but I set it back to Optimized Default in bios. I'm not sure why it's not throttling down anymore? Any help would be appreciated.

This problem doesn't hurt my system from running anything I throw at it. It's actually very stable at an overclock of 4.7ghz with vcore of 1.216v. I'm just curious why I can't get my chip to do what it is supposed to do.

more info:
Asus Maximus Hero VII bios 2201
I7-4790k
Corsair h100i with Corsair Link 2.7.5361
G.Skill Trident DDR3 2666 16gb
Asus GTX Strix 980
Samsung 850 Evo 120gb, WD 1TB Blue
Windows 7 pro 64bit
NZXT H440 case

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/wMd6Mp

Svvamprat

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
It's on optimized defaults right now. I'm stumbling through this bios so can you be more specific as to what power saving options are needed to change from the default to get my CPU to actual default?

Svvamprat

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
I'm starting to get other errors on this chip now. It won't turbo since last night now. Set the multiplier to x44 and it boots at x44 but goes back to x40 after a few seconds and stays there and won't turbo. Think I'm going to exchange it before my 30 days are over. It's either my CPU or my Mobo.

Saehon

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013

and now it sounds like denial - happy weekend

DubbleClick

Admirable

You confuse me, how is suggesting to return the motherboard (the above issues don't fit to a faulty cpu, those mostly work or don't work at all and a faulty motherboard would explain them) an indicator of jealousy? And how is asking on what I would be jealous denial?

Saehon

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013

hehe, i said jealousy, beacuse, you said "just return the motherboard" out of the blue, not backing it up with why he should return it, so i was thinking that you were jealous and i understand if you were, who wouldnt be, on a Asus Maximus Hero VII motherboard - anyway, sorry OP

DubbleClick

Admirable

Well, returning it you usually give the manufacturer the possibility to repair it before getting your money back and choosing an other one. I've had motherboard issues too (voltage spikes, being unstable on full turbo) and sent my motherboard in, got it back two weeks later and everything's going fine since then. Also, if I had any use of the features the maximus hero yields, I would have bought one. But to me most things are gimmicks (Clear CMOS Button, a quick touch with a screwdriver does as well) or flat out useless (4 way sli - I'm probably not even ever going to SLI). Very few people actually have use for motherboards over $120.

Saehon

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013

exactly ^^

Svvamprat

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015

Tried it nothing seems to change it. It is x40 3999.1 Mhz and won't go lower.

Svvamprat

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015

I'm taking the mobo back tomorrow or the next day and going to get a replacement and replace the CPU too while I'm at it. Exchange them for the same. It runs fine right now and the temps are fine I just have a problem with the price I paid for them not working as intended.

2/24/2015- got a new mobo and CPU and guess what it speedsteps and turbos normally now. Thank you all