[SOLVED] i7 4790k or Ryzen 7 2700

Solution
What do you have currently?

A 4790K should pair well enough with a 2070 - if you already have a Z97 board and DDR3. I'd highly suggest the 4790K is overclocked though.
This assumes you can find a 4790K for a decent price (like $100-$150 decent)

If you don't have the platform already, then it's not really worthwhile investing in, IMO.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What do you have currently?

A 4790K should pair well enough with a 2070 - if you already have a Z97 board and DDR3. I'd highly suggest the 4790K is overclocked though.
This assumes you can find a 4790K for a decent price (like $100-$150 decent)

If you don't have the platform already, then it's not really worthwhile investing in, IMO.

Solution
If you can get a working second-handed I7 4770, 4790 (k or no k), E3-1230V3 or 1231V3..let say below USD130...I would get one of these.
If you can not find those procs with the max given price, I would rather go all out on the upgrade for a Ryzen or CoffeeLake platform.

Waiting for the coming AMD procs is also wise.
If AMD really brings another leap, I will really go for the upgrade this time too, currently used is E3-1231V3.
I wanted already since 2 years go but have been holding back since CoffeeLake and Ryzen 1xxx launch.

alsmith

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2014

You give one half of a price comparison [$130] but not the cost for the alternative- why? It hides any real comparison giving unbalanced information. The answer could easily be different when money doesn't matter- money no object can point to better options .

I don't think it will be next month for zen 2. But I'd say probably in the next 6 months. It should be a nice improvement. They are shrinking from 12nm to 7nm. So should be some nice speed gains just from that. I saw some slides claiming speed boosts up to 4.8-⅝ghz depending on cpu.

But you figure as well, not just that, since this is actually now a redesign of zen, there should be improvement on the architecture itself as well.

I did see that side claiming 6 core 12 threads for 99 bucks. Even if they didn't do that and went 4 core 8 threads for 99 that would still be a deal.

TRENDING THREADS