[SOLVED] I7-4790k Overclock

Ompted

Distinguished
May 31, 2015
I'm running a I7-4790k on a Z97X-SLI and stress tested it. Im getting 4.4 GHz at 1.24 V and my temps are stitting around 50 C idle, 80-90C max load. Should I lower anything or leave it.

Solution
Thanks again, WildCard.

Ompted,

What is your ambient temperature?

Core temperatures increase and decrease with Ambient temperature. The International "Standard" for normal ambient (room) temperature is 22°C or 72°F.

Which version of CineBench?

Did you know that CineBench R20 is a heavier workload than CineBench R15?

“Stress” tests vary widely and can be characterized into two categories; stability tests which are fluctuating workloads, and thermal tests which are steady workloads. Utilities that don't overload or underload your processor will give you a valid thermal baseline. Here’s a comparison of utilities grouped as thermal and...

WildCard999

Titan
I lowered it to 1.35V and it was 80-90C still. I used Core temps to keep track of it while running CINEBENCH. My cooler is a H60 Liquid AIO
Temp is still too high and so is the voltage as the max recommended is 1.3V for 4th gen. Higher will cause higher temps but could also cause electromigration which will shorten the lifespan of that CPU.

Try 1.3V at 4.6 or 4.7ghz. Also 120mm AIO's aren't really that good for cooling compared to similarly priced larger air coolers.

Reactions: CompuTronix

Ompted

Distinguished
May 31, 2015
I fiddled with it and got it down to 80-85C at 1.23V still at 4.4 GHz. I'm pretty sure this is as low as I can go on the voltage without losing performance. I will def be investing in a better cooler once the time comes around. But I think that the h60 will do for now in terms of performance.

WildCard999

Titan
I fiddled with it and got it down to 80-85C at 1.23V still at 4.4 GHz. I'm pretty sure this is as low as I can go on the voltage without losing performance. I will def be investing in a better cooler once the time comes around. But I think that the h60 will do for now in terms of performance.
If those are your stress testing temps then those are better. Honestly, 100-200mhz increase isn't going to be a lot of FPS increase (maybe 3-5 FPS) even on CPU heavier titles and the risk of damage just doesn't justify it.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Thanks again, WildCard.

Ompted,

What is your ambient temperature?

Core temperatures increase and decrease with Ambient temperature. The International "Standard" for normal ambient (room) temperature is 22°C or 72°F.

Which version of CineBench?

Did you know that CineBench R20 is a heavier workload than CineBench R15?

“Stress” tests vary widely and can be characterized into two categories; stability tests which are fluctuating workloads, and thermal tests which are steady workloads. Utilities that don't overload or underload your processor will give you a valid thermal baseline. Here’s a comparison of utilities grouped as thermal and stability tests according to % of TDP, averaged across six processor Generations at stock settings rounded to the nearest 5%:

u9JTLsO.jpg

Although these tests range from 70% to 130% TDP workload, Windows Task Manager interprets every test as 100% CPU Utilization, which is processor resource activity, not actual workload. Core temperatures respond directly to Power consumption (Watts), which is driven by workload. Prime95 v29.8 Small FFTs (AVX disabled) provides a steady-state 100% workload. If Core temperatures don't exceed 80°C, your CPU should run the most demanding real-world workloads without overheating.

Here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

PdancCI.jpg

CT:sol:

Reactions: WildCard999
Solution

TRENDING THREADS