[SOLVED] i7-4790k overclocking will bottleneck RTX 3070?

Solution
Specific game and game settings are a huge factor. Ultimately the 4790k only has the same number of cores/threads as a modern i3 or Ryzen 3 which are entry level for modern AAA gaming and you are pairing with a card that is high end for 1080p. However the worst case is you just don’t get the full potential from the 3070 but you should still get enjoyable performance.

Lutfij

Titan
System's with processors like the Ryzen 9 and Intel i9's show that the the GPU is faster than the CPU's, there's even a meme about it. You're asking if the 4th gen i7 could keep the RTX3080 at bay a little with an overclock? The answer is no.

Specific game and game settings are a huge factor. Ultimately the 4790k only has the same number of cores/threads as a modern i3 or Ryzen 3 which are entry level for modern AAA gaming and you are pairing with a card that is high end for 1080p. However the worst case is you just don’t get the full potential from the 3070 but you should still get enjoyable performance.

Reactions: Quanticriver
Solution
There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.

Much depends on the types of games you will play, the gaming resolution and the quality settings you select.

Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

I might guess that you have a I7-4790K with the ability to overclock, and you are considering purchasing a 3070 card.

Here is a simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Then, since you have the ability to overclock, do so and see how you do.
According to silicon lottery historical binning statistics, some 96% of chips will do 4.7.
68% 4.8 , 22%4.9 and a lucky 3% can even do 5.0
https://siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics

I might also guess that your 8 threads is more than can effectively be used.
The exception is multiplayer with many participants where the more threads the better.
To test this assertion for YOUR games, take away a thread and see if it impacts your gaming with 7 threads.
You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options

Reactions: CompuTronix
D

Deleted member 1560910

You are not going to gain that much with a overclocked 4790k in games. Just saying the 4790k will bottleneck 3070 isnt telling the whole. It would depend on the game for sure plus you can crank up the resolution scaler. Why are you gaming at 1080p with a 3070 ? This is the mistake you are making

D

Deleted member 1560910

System's with processors like the Ryzen 9 and Intel i9's show that the the GPU is faster than the CPU's, there's even a meme about it. You're asking if the 4th gen i7 could keep the RTX3080 at bay a little with an overclock? The answer is no.
4790k in certain situations would work just fine with a 3070 like 1440p with all MSAA turned on and it would not be bottlenecking. The best set ups can still bottleneck given the right conditions. The real question is will it do the 3070 justice at 1080p no answer is a Big NO !!!. This is a bad setup in my opinion because the 3070 has only 8 gigs vram so 4k is out with certain games plus at 1080 is going to limit the 3070. This is just bad planning. would of been a better idea to upgrade CPU and chipset and keeped what gpu he had

D

Deleted member 1560910

You could try DSR, render at 4K and downscale to 1080p, at least in some titles. Opposite of DLSS sort of, but might be worth it if you are after image quality over FPS.
Thats about all he can do or sell the 3070 and get new CPU and a proper 1080p card because i doubt he want to upgrade his precious 1080p panel

i'm just curious if it's going to work, but seems like it's not worth trying :) at least in theory
Nobody knows your games, settings, or resolution.
Yes, it is going to work.
Yes, you will do better.
What is not known is by how much.
The hard thing to buy today is a good graphics card.
3070 is one of the best.
Here is a test of the i3-10100 processor which also has 8 threads. The cpu is about comparable to an overclocked i7-4790K.
The gpu was a 2080ti, again, comparable to a 3070:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i3-10100/15.html

GizmoMKD

Distinguished
May 29, 2014
so different comment/questions and i'm more confused. what i'm looking is to play games on ultra that's why i'm asking if RTX 3070 will be bottlenecked with i7-4790k...

for example BF 2042 which will be released soon... if 3070 is not for 1080p gaming then maybe 3060? what i'm looking is ultra graphics gaming on 1080p 60 FPS.

What is your current graphics card?
Does a 3070 represent a substantial boost in capability?
Do not buy graphics upgrades in small increments.
You may be disappointed if you do not notice big results.

If 3070 is within your budget, buy one.
If you buy a 3060, for example, you will always wonder if you made a mistake.
The 3070 will be more capable in handling ultra settings as well as supporting higher resolutions in the future.

Forget this bottleneck business, you will ALWAYS do better with a 3070 than a 3060.
The only question is by how much.

If your gaming is good now, wait for BF 2042 to release and see how you do.
You will then have a better idea if you need a cpu or a gpu upgrade.