i7 4790K overheat!

kenzig

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
Hi,

I have a i7 4790K which heats up to temperatures of 100C, even with a cm seidon 120v plus! I checked and double checked the thermal paste, all seems fine. I am afraid I might damage the PC. I could think of getting a better air cooler for the CPU but most of them wont fit on my CM K380 case! and others are barely available near me! I want to know what could be the reason for such hi temps!

I have raised this question before also but I still don't have a proper answer :(

emdea22

Distinguished
You can get to 100c even with water cooling if you are stress testing using latest version of p95 or some other program that uses AVX like OCCT linpack.
Only way you can get temps lower is to delid - these are just hot chips.

kenzig

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015

delid?

"De-lidding" a cpu is an advanced technique-basically you remove the IHS (lid) from your cpu, replace the thermal compound and then replace the IHS (lid)/or you can even run it without a lid but you will probably end up damaging the die. I really don't recommend you try it unless you're feeling adventurous...

Is it at stock speed? If so then you can probably RMA it.Most likely there is a problem with the TIM(Thermal Interface Material) under the heat spreader on the CPU. The only way to fix it yourself is to delid and I agree with the post above me as far as that goes. It's dangerous.

Do not delid your cpu. Devils canyon was the fix for haswell's failure with the 4670k and 4770k. Also DO NOT USE P95 on haswell/davils canyon. The AVX instructions if you goole it on haswell/devils canyon can and will push your system far past its limits and damage hardware. Just google p95 and haswell. Use Aida64 its a much better stress test program than prime is. Also is your pump turned up to 100% speed and also the radiator fans? Make sure those are turned up and then download and stress test using AIDA64 and report back to us.

I like how you jumped straight to delidding, the 4790K isn't a hot chip, the 4770K was fairly hot but the refresh helped that. OP, do you still have the stock cooler you can try to rule out the cooler as being the issue?

kenzig

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015

I have used the stock cooler for about 1 month but the temperatures were too high. So I got the seidon. And i also have 4 extra fans on my case. I monitor all fans in case any is running low, but they all run at full speed when the temp rises that high (which is of no use).
It rises mainly when i do 3ds max and after effects renders.

Are the temps even slightly lower or does it still get to 100c?

kenzig

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015

The pump wire has a 3 pin header, I think which means you cannot control pump speed. Also I set all speeds to 100%, which would essentially speed up the pump speed if It was possible.

Do you think it could be a faulty piece and I should RMA?

Also could someone tell me what direction my fans should be on both sides of the cm seidon. It came with 1 and I had an extra which I put on the other side of the radiator.

Fans should be in a push pull setup. One fan pushing and one pulling. Also you can still control fan speeds even with 3 pin. All of my case fans are 3 pin and i can change their speeds. If your pump is at 100% its either A: your pump is out.....B: you installed thermal paste incorrectly or C: your cpu is bad. If you can swap it out go for it. If you get same results with new one then its your cooler. This is why i use air coolers because you can plainly see if a fan isnt speeding. You dont have to play this guessing game.

kenzig

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
Yaa I guess I will have to guess :(
RMA gonna take some time I think. Will be pc less fore some time.
Anyways, thanks guys for all your help. After I get it replaced, I will get a better thermal paste and get on with it. And if I still get any problem, I will come back and disturb u guys. :D

You temps were the same using the stock cooler you said? Maybe try to lower your voltages. My system when i first built this new one was sending a ungodly amount of voltage to the cpu during stress testing in the auto voltage mode. Was sending 1.44v at stock clocks when it should have been 1.2 at most. So i changed it to 1.2v and my temps went down. I would try maybe getting a coolermaster 212evo air cooler for $28 and trying it to see if it works. My dad runs the 4790k with the 212evo and it runs just fine.

kenzig

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
Believe me I have heard a lot about the 212 evo. I would have definately gone with it. But the evo wont fit in my case, so I had to go with the next option.