[SOLVED] I7 4790K Overheating Help Highly appreciated.

May 11, 2022
Good evening,

I really hope I will receive some help as im honestly hopeless on what to do at this point. I am really grateful for those that will help.
I have been reading through many articles all throughout the past two years.

Short story:
I bought this PC it was in a mini atx case and had a corsair h55 cooler, from as far I can remember it was fine the temperatures everything.
Then two years ago I use to get random frame freeze, sound would work or cut out and the screen would be on the last frame. It would be impossible to go to the task manager or anything like that.
Short fix would be to force power off, turn it on and it would be good again. At first it would happen once or twice per week. Then it became frequent, I started messing around researching threads. As far as I can remember I fixed it somehow it was not happening. I also invested in a massive corsair 4000x case as well as 6 corsair fans in hope that this would help. I moved back three days ago, it would happen every 30-40min. Therefore I started reading threads that always say the AIO is dead, so sure thing I invested in the corsair h150i cooler which I managed to mount today. Just to find out that the pc starts to a "HIGH TEMP ERROR" it would be 80c in BIOS. I have booted it now and I think it is down to 60-70c idle.

Problem in short:
I7 4790k is 80c idle
and 100+ when tasking (I use to think the sensor might be dead and always carry on doing my things until it would crash)

Things I tried:
Bigger PC case
Repositioning fans
Bought a new AIO cooler

My specs:
I7 4790K
GTX 1080
MAXIMUS VII IMPACT

Maybe a problem with voltages? I am not sure which ones to set, I have tried auto but maybe something is not right? I heard people had problems, the bios is very confusing for this mobo as it has many tweaks.

I have an exam presentation to post really soon and therefore I hope I can finally resolve this after throwing in quite a bit of money buying parts that essentially made it worse.

Thanks once again.

80'c is really high for idle. I would recheck the mounting process and make sure you didn't leave the protective film on the cooler?

also check your fan curve settings. it may be set to SILENT or ECO settings which sacrifice cooling for noise level. and adjust the fan curve so anything over 65'c should have your fans at close to 100%.
and your pump speed should be near at all times.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
80C in BIOS speaks to an improperly installed or non-working AIO. It is possible that a default overclock is set on such a motherboard.

Use a program like Hardware Monitor to take a look at temperatures and voltages. Anything above 1.35 volts on the core is cause for concern. Make sure any auto overclocking settings, or OC profiles, aren't loaded. XMP should be the only thing on when troubleshooting.

1. Is the new AIO properly installed?
  2. Thermal compound properly applied?
  3. Pump header and fan header plugged in?
  4. You should have software that will verify if the pump is running.

Right around that era was the issue of thin motherboards causing a lack of mounting pressure. If you press on the CPU block and you can see the backplate move, then you need to add washers between the backplate and motherboard.

May 11, 2022
Have you reset BIOS to all defaults?

Any question about your thermal paste situation or cooler mounting?
Thanks for your response,

I have reset to defaults, there was thermal paste on the cooler and some on the cpu left from a day before (yesterday I was removing dust and changing thermal paste).

May 11, 2022
80'c is really high for idle. I would recheck the mounting process and make sure you didn't leave the protective film on the cooler?

also check your fan curve settings. it may be set to SILENT or ECO settings which sacrifice cooling for noise level. and adjust the fan curve so anything over 65'c should have your fans at close to 100%.
and your pump speed should be near at all times.
I have made them all on turbo and used third party software to adjust it to make it run 100% at all times.

May 11, 2022
80C in BIOS speaks to an improperly installed or non-working AIO. It is possible that a default overclock is set on such a motherboard.

Use a program like Hardware Monitor to take a look at temperatures and voltages. Anything above 1.35 volts on the core is cause for concern. Make sure any auto overclocking settings, or OC profiles, aren't loaded. XMP should be the only thing on when troubleshooting.

1. Is the new AIO properly installed?
  2. Thermal compound properly applied?
  3. Pump header and fan header plugged in?
  4. You should have software that will verify if the pump is running.
Right around that era was the issue of thin motherboards causing a lack of mounting pressure. If you press on the CPU block and you can see the backplate move, then you need to add washers between the backplate and motherboard.

You know that might be a good shout as my concern is that I did not check if the previous owner had put on a backplate for the aio I assumed he did and I screwed it on. Whilst I was watching the temperatures I tried applying pressure on the AIO and it seemed like it would drop to 95 for a second from the 100 idle. I can hear the AIO working and it also lit up, and through the ICUE software it shows as running as it shows rpm ranging around 1.8k rpm. I have XMP turned off, and everything set on auto.

This AIO has to be working as I bought brand new and installed today.

May 11, 2022
You didn't use the new backplate the cooler came with? That right there is the problem...

That is making me happy in a way, although surely it is the same as previously it had a H55 mounted ?

I was worrying that I will have to buy a new CPU, although you don't think it could be that?

CPU VCORE: 0.928 V
AVCC 3.28 V
3VCC 3.28 V
3VSB 3.376 V
VBAT 3.248 V
VTT 1.024 V

Thanks

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That is making me happy in a way, although surely it is the same as previously it had a H55 mounted ?

I was worrying that I will have to buy a new CPU, although you don't think it could be that?

CPU VCORE: 0.928 V
AVCC 3.28 V
3VCC 3.28 V
3VSB 3.376 V
VBAT 3.248 V
VTT 1.024 V

Thanks

Those voltages are fine, and likely at idle.

If you don't have direct access to the back of the motherboard, then you will need to install the cooler while the motherboard is not in the case. Most modern cases have a cut out behind the motherboard tray for exactly this.

There is no guarantee that the spring tension, screw threads, depth, etc will be the same between an old H55 and H150i. Corsair doesn't actually make them, they are just rebranded Asetek, Alaptek, or CoolIT products.

In this case both Asetek, but Asetek has gone through several revisions of their coolers over the years.

May 11, 2022
Those voltages are fine, and likely at idle.

If you don't have direct access to the back of the motherboard, then you will need to install the cooler while the motherboard is not in the case. Most modern cases have a cut out behind the motherboard tray for exactly this.

There is no guarantee that the spring tension, screw threads, depth, etc will be the same between an old H55 and H150i. Corsair doesn't actually make them, they are just rebranded Asetek, Alaptek, or CoolIT products.

In this case both Asetek, but Asetek has gone through several revisions of their coolers over the years.

I want to say god bless you, you have no idea how grateful I am.

I was surprised my self to turn it on and see 30c.
It was some old plastic backplate that I had to rip off as it was glued and screwed. I lost one of the screws so I had to use an old one for them.
Size wise the old one was 0.1mm longer. I didnt screw it as hard as other ones.

TLDR:
I changed the backplate, squirted an additional amount of paste screwed it all in and here we are.
I would of went ahead and ordered a processor too... I just never knew a backplate has this much of a meaning.

Huge thanks, now I can even overclock a little? It explains the massive drops in FPS when playing games over the years. How has the CPU even survived it would never be below 80c when something is running.

How has the CPU even survived it would never be below 80c when something is running.

Tcase on that CPU is 74.04.

If that temp at that location (high on the integrated heat spreader) was exceeded, I'd guess the CPU was automatically reducing frequency and power consumption to prevent damage.

I have no idea if there is any correlation between the 80 you observed and the 74.04 Tcase as measured by Intel.

It's a testament to the engineering behind the CPU.

TRENDING THREADS