Question i7 4790k overheating

Aug 13, 2019
Hi!

I have an obvious issue, if you've read title you already know, yeah.. heat

My story is: I upgraded my CPU to i7 4790k, and for 2 months it was working just fine, until I realised that my BIOS hasn't been updated ever, so I have version that's over 5 y/o

This was causing my CPU to run at 3.7GHz instead of 4.0 and 4.4 with turbo boost. So I have successfully updated my BIOS and I thought everything would be fine, I even learned how to OC my GPU with MSI afterburner

I ran OCCT and it stopped after 5 minutes 2 times, second time I read that core #0 overheated, and I looked at HWMonitor, I saw that it hit 92 degrees, Package git 92 degrees too, but I don't know what it is

So I have 2 questions now, first: I don't have any fans which take heat out of my PC case, I only have radiator mounted on my CPU, would buying one fan just to take some heat out solve this temperature issue?

Second: Can I use my PC for gaming safely before I get fan?

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
overclocking will introduce more heat its a given, it just means you have an inadequate cpu cooler.
what cpu cooler do you have at the moment? and you full system spec.

and for case fans its always nice to have some front intake and a rear exhaust fan, if your case supports a top fan you can use it as exhaust too.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019
overclocking will introduce more heat its a given, it just means you have an inadequate cpu cooler.
what cpu cooler do you have at the moment? and you full system spec.

and for case fans its always nice to have some front intake and a rear exhaust fan, if your case supports a top fan you can use it as exhaust too.
I haven't even overclocked it, it only works at level it should've been working on before

I don't have box right now, but after going through Cooler Master's site I think that Hyper 103 is the one I currently own

Truckerlenny

Great
May 20, 2019
run hwmonitor while in games and then see what the max heat levels are anything above 80 is getting sketchy. if you only have a rad and no other fans besides what it comes with then i would recommend getting air circulation in general see what the other temps in hwmonitor is for hdd ssd and gpu see if it is running somewhat hot see if they could also benefit from more air

Aug 13, 2019
run hwmonitor while in games and then see what the max heat levels are anything above 80 is getting sketchy. if you only have a rad and no other fans besides what it comes with then i would recommend getting air circulation in general see what the other temps in hwmonitor is for hdd ssd and gpu see if it is running somewhat hot see if they could also benefit from more air
I remember after 10 minutes in Battlefield 1 I saw one of cores hitting 87 degrees, now I've been playing Dark Souls 3 for probably an hour and 83 is the top in this case

What are high SSD and HDD temps?

I realized that I have 92mm radiator so I probably also need an 120mm one. at least that's what internet seems so say

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
I haven't even overclocked it, it only works at level it should've been working on before

I don't have box right now, but after going through Cooler Master's site I think that Hyper 103 is the one I currently own

you only have the heat sink on without a fan? that really wont do much to a former high end cpu like the 4790k. either get a fan to mount it on the heat sink or get a much larger cooler even the hyper 212 should be fine and wouldn't cost much, i cant really get what you mean but either way id suggest a new cooler since hyper 103 wasn't meant for high end cpus. and for airflow in your case depending on which case you use you can mount a couple or 3 fans in front (pulls air in your case) and a single rear exhaust fan (pulls air out of your case) this should improve thermas for both your cpu and gpu.

you dont need high end fans but get good enough ones.

hwinfo64 is a much better and more accurate tool but he should apply the same principle.

Aug 13, 2019
you only have the heat sink on without a fan? that really wont do much to a former high end cpu like the 4790k. either get a fan to mount it on the heat sink or get a much larger cooler even the hyper 212 should be fine and wouldn't cost much, i cant really get what you mean but either way id suggest a new cooler since hyper 103 wasn't meant for high end cpus. and for airflow in your case depending on which case you use you can mount a couple or 3 fans in front (pulls air in your case) and a single rear exhaust fan (pulls air out of your case) this should improve thermas for both your cpu and gpu.

you dont need high end fans but get good enough ones.

hwinfo64 is a much better and more accurate tool but he should apply the same principle.
I thought this one fan that's sitting on sink is a part of my radiator, but if not then I have a single fan mounted to heat sink, but I'll need a bigger one as you said and some fans in front and back, I don't know what fans are good and stuff but this is gonna probably cost a lot

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
I thought this one fan that's sitting on sink is a part of my radiator, but if not then I have a single fan mounted to heat sink, but I'll need a bigger one as you said and some fans in front and back, I don't know what fans are good and stuff but this is gonna probably cost a lot

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler ($36.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Cooler Master SickleFlow (Red) 69.69 CFM 120 mm Fan ($9.89 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: ARCTIC Arctic F14 PWM 77.3 CFM 140 mm Fan ($9.85 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 140 61.2 CFM 140 mm Fan ($12.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $69.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

you can choose from the case fans i linked, but they should be good, if you care about RGB tho you would have to spend 25-35USD for a fan.

Aug 13, 2019
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler ($36.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Cooler Master SickleFlow (Red) 69.69 CFM 120 mm Fan ($9.89 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: ARCTIC Arctic F14 PWM 77.3 CFM 140 mm Fan ($9.85 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 140 61.2 CFM 140 mm Fan ($12.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $69.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

you can choose from the case fans i linked, but they should be good, if you care about RGB tho you would have to spend 25-35USD for a fan.
wow, thanks!

I don't care about how they look honestly as long as they work well for as little money as possible