Question i7 4790k overheats when stepping set to auto

Stephen Baynes

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
I have a second hand i7 4790k and it overheats as soon as it is stressed when stepping is enabled. Disabling stepping means the CPU remains under 70 degrees c. I thought automatic stepping would enable the CPU to remain cooler. Is this a sign of damage to the CPU?

Stephen Baynes

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
All voltages are at their default, paste is new. Everything is installed correctly - I guess it must simply be air flow problems. I assume adding a fan to the front of the case will help. The case only as a vent fan

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Default does not mean the voltage is okay I have seen motherboards apply some crazy voltages as default. I have never heard of a CPU getting hotter because it's dying, that doesn't make sense. Possibly the thermal paste under the IHS is bad but I doubt it. So that leaves cooling or voltage. What cooler are you using? If its push pins are all the pins tightly secured? If its bolted on are all the bolts tight and torqued evenly? You sure you used enough thermal paste? Too little can cause problems, too much is usually just fine from testing I have seen.

Stephen Baynes

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
I have refitted the cooler numerous times. Definitely enough paste. It is cool with the fans on high, so I am assuming not enough airflow. The core voltage keeps changing, currently it is switching between 0.7 to 2.2 volts. The core speed is constantly changing.