i7 4790k running hot?! Someone help?

Peter_240

Prominent
Apr 25, 2017
Hello! Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

I have an i7 4790k running at stock speeds. Simply browsing the internet has my CPU temperature at around 55c. I'm using a brand new Hyper 212 EVO and have tried re-applying thermal paste and re-seating the cooler multiple times with no better result.

While playing GTA V at 1440p my temperatures get into the 80's. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

I have a large case fan in the front pulling air in, the cooler master fan on the EVO 212 exhausting and then another fan on the back of the case exhausting that air.

I've gone into the bios and made sure every fan has the proper set up and that they are plugged into the correct pins on the motherboard.

Someone please help! I'm going crazy over here.

Solution
1) reset your bios to factory defaults. this will rule out a bios setting causing the fan to stay on a low setting.

2) ensure your fan is working properly and plugged into the correct header

3) remove heatsink again. remove any paste on the cpu and heatsink with alcohol and qtips. make sure the bolts are fully tightened to the board for the heatsink. put on your fresh paste, then, the screws on the heatsink should twist all the way down until they are snug, but not over tightened.

if you've done all three of those things correctly, it is extremely unlikely your cpu will overheat. but if you still have a problem we will look into other options.
1) reset your bios to factory defaults. this will rule out a bios setting causing the fan to stay on a low setting.

2) ensure your fan is working properly and plugged into the correct header

3) remove heatsink again. remove any paste on the cpu and heatsink with alcohol and qtips. make sure the bolts are fully tightened to the board for the heatsink. put on your fresh paste, then, the screws on the heatsink should twist all the way down until they are snug, but not over tightened.

if you've done all three of those things correctly, it is extremely unlikely your cpu will overheat. but if you still have a problem we will look into other options.

Solution

Peter_240

Prominent
Apr 25, 2017

I checked CPU usage and it looks like it's around 30% with these temps.

Peter_240

Prominent
Apr 25, 2017

Thanks, I'll try this tomorrow and report back.

yeah, that wasn't my first suspect. you probably have higher temps if that was the issue.