Do you think that its worth trying to delid cpu with MX4 thermal paste for now. (Im getting Thermal Grizzly Condactonaut in 20 days). Temps are weird even tho im using Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler brand new and voltages are not that high.
Worth it depends on why you are doing this. If it’s just to see how far you can push the cpu then go for it. If you actually want to use the extra performance it really doesn’t make much difference. 4.7 vs 4.5GHz is just over 4% difference in clockspeed which is not going to be noticeable in anything other than benchmarks.

fr0sty98

Reputable
Oct 23, 2015
Worth it depends on why you are doing this. If it’s just to see how far you can push the cpu then go for it. If you actually want to use the extra performance it really doesn’t make much difference. 4.7 vs 4.5GHz is just over 4% difference in clockspeed which is not going to be noticeable in anything other than benchmarks.
Ok so i delided it with MX4 and i tried to boot (not first delid btw) it didnt post, well apperently there was that silicone glue on motherboard pins i dont know how it got there :D so i removed it and it works. Althouh no temperature changes which is kinda sad... I kinda damaged IHS on a side which i dont think is problem but it drives my OCD to hell. :D I will check back when i get liquid metal and see if there is difference, still confused that DRP4 cant keep this cpu cool.

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Im wondering the same thing. I just recently picked up a mobo so I can overclock the 4790k and at the same voltage as yours, my temps are very similar to yours but also sometimes it spikes into the 90s and that's like instantly as soon as I hit start on the stress test.

I have a h100i v2 and the pump and fans are at max when testing the OC.

I don't get it why it gets so hot so fast. I was thinking of trying to delid as well since these temps are so weird.

oh my idle temps is at 40c and the coolant temp is at 33c and when stress testing the temp spikes to 85-90 right away..

fr0sty98

Reputable
Oct 23, 2015
Im wondering the same thing. I just recently picked up a mobo so I can overclock the 4790k and at the same voltage as yours, my temps are very similar to yours but also sometimes it spikes into the 90s and that's like instantly as soon as I hit start on the stress test.

I have a h100i v2 and the pump and fans are at max when testing the OC.

I don't get it why it gets so hot so fast. I was thinking of trying to delid as well since these temps are so weird.

oh my idle temps is at 40c and the coolant temp is at 33c and when stress testing the temp spikes to 85-90 right away..
Deliding is pretty easy but not worth if u are going to use normal thermal paste like i did (mx4) but i am getting thermal grizzly conductonaut by the end of this month.Many have claimed and showed that it decreases temperatures around ~20c. Will see how that will do, also be careful that ur cpu doesnt slide when u DELID with vice mine did and i scratched IHS on side just a tiny bit i dont think it matters to much but it destroys me mentaly im trying to find if anyone is selling i7 4790k IHS to replace this one. But still i dont think it should get this hot voltages are not that high ive seen people pulling out with 1.45 volts better temps.

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Just delid it and for now used arctic silver 5 but will order thermal grizzly conductonaut. Even with the arctic silver 5 I can actually run intel burn test (Standard) and max temps hit 83 where before it would be high 90s-100 so it deff helped. Looking forward to the thermal grizzly.. oh and i guess i somehow scratched off one of the capacitors lol no idea how i took my time it took me like an hour or so to do it haha. Hope its all good I'm on it right now.