i7 4790k Temperature Question

Rear Bumper

Honorable
Sep 13, 2014
Hello again- sorry for posting a second thread about the same question as before, but I accidentally selected a solution before the problem was actually solved. I'm really more confused than I was the first time!

I originally had a problem where my computer's CPU was idling at 40C, though when I had originally built it three months ago it idled at 30-34C.

Now, after a bit of further testing, I'm unsure what my CPU's temperature is, and whether or not I should be worried.
I used three different programs to test my CPU temp, and only two of the three agreed with each other- and they weren't the temperature I'd prefer.

I plan on re-seating my CPU cooler over the upcoming winter break, but I'd still like to get some professional opinions on my current situation before I do so.

My room is about 70F.
The temperatures displayed by the programs were as follows:
49, 50, 40 (All in Celsius)

Screenshot: http://puu.sh/dy4v8/b337ea25ec.jpg

and my complete build:

Asus LGA Pro Wifi-ac Motherboard
16gb 2133mhz G Skill Sniper Series RAM
Intel core i7 4790k Haswell 4.0ghz w/ Arctic Silver 5 (Cooler Master 212 Plus)
250gb Samsung SSD + 2tb WD Green HDD
EVGA Geforce GTX 780 FTW GPU
AX860 Corsair PSU

All in a Xion XON 985-bk Case (Two front 120mm case fans, two top 120mm case fans, and one rear 120mm case fan)

Can anyone tell me if perhaps the programs are displaying incorrectly, or if they aren't- should I be worried?

Thanks in advance

Rear Bumper

Honorable
Sep 13, 2014

That is reassuring to hear, though I'm unsure what it reaches at full load, due to nothing I have being able to bring it to that point (Minor bragging her).

How do you recommend I test the temperature at full load?

Additionally, do you think re-seating the cpu cooler with new thermal paste (Arctic Silver 5 is already on it, but I have more) will help keep it cooler? I only just put it on a few months back, but I may not have done it right.

Mr_Venbeer

Reputable
May 11, 2014
You must have put too much or too little thermal paste.
Test the the temperatures at full load for good measures. Don't let them get over 75 C.
If it gets too hot, then re-apply the thermal compound, and be sure to put enough there to cool properly, but not too much to overflow the chip.

Rear Bumper

Honorable
Sep 13, 2014

So I got home from my vacation trip this afternoon and immediately set to "fixing" my computer, fully intent on re-seating the cpu cooler over the processor with some new thermal paste.

However, after removing the graphics card and beginning to remove the rest of the components to safely remove my motherboard, I noticed that one of the four nuts on the back of the motherboard, meant to hold the cpu cooler in place, was less than fully screwed down- while all three other nuts had the screw flush with the top of the nut, this fourth nut was barely on at all.

After heating the system up just a bit by turning it on a few minutes and then turning it back off, I went at the screw with the set of tools that came with the cpu cooler (CM Hyper EVO 212).

After turning all the screws a little bit with the hope that this wasn't so absolutely horrid as I presumed it was (I remember when I installed the damn thing, I turned every screw maybe a half turn before moving on to the next to make sure the cooler went down level- so much for that!) I turned the system back on, and checked my temps.

Screenshot: http://puu.sh/dNriv/2a732f6bee.jpg

I cannot express how happy I am right now. Though now I have a new problem- will this amount of time (four months) with an improperly set cpu cooler have any long-lasting effects on my processor?

Thanks again for all your help. I'll select you as the best anwser after my last question is solved

TRENDING THREADS