I7 4790k Temps and Help

mypcisaspaceheater

Reputable
Jun 16, 2015
I have an I7 4790k and my case is slightly smaller so I have not found a watercooler to fit it yet. In the mean time im using the cooler master hyper 212 evo.

Lately I have been running a minecraft server and playing minecraft which means about 40% cpu load. For whatever reason my temps sit at the 70s, going to 80s sometimes. Ive had some heat problems in the past and I am desperate, i would be completely fine with "underclocking" my pc as the cpu is a bit overkill as it is paired with a gtx 970.

Im hesistant to remount the cooler as it was a bitch to mount in the first place but i may do it over summer break (~3 weeks) in the mean time what should I check, i cleaned my case yesterday and temps have dropped minimally.

Sorry for the long post, Just dont want to have to buy a new cpu...

Solution
If you're not using the right motherboard BIOS version, that correctly supports your CPU, then don't expect the voltage supplied to the CPU to be correct.

I don't use the automatic default voltage setting for my i7-4790K. I also don't use ASUS' tuning utilities. I use a negative offset voltage in the UEFI Setup to lower the CPU core voltage. Using extensive stress testing, I found the lowest voltage that I could use while still keeping the system completely stable while keeping the CPU temperature still in the safe zone.

Jesse_20

Distinguished
If all the intakes and exhausts are clear, and you have moved wires to the sides to allow max airflow through the case, then you can either lower the case temps by adding another fan if you have room, or try to re-apply the thermal paste on your break. Some might also suggest de-lidding your cpu, although that's an extreme measure IMO.
I would consider a larger case before a new CPU. It would be cheaper and offer overall better benefits if you can accomodate the larger size.

mypcisaspaceheater

Reputable
Jun 16, 2015

the motherboard is an ASUS Z97-A motherboard and I will have to check the core voltage when I have down time later today. Its clocked to 3.6 Ghz instead of 4Ghz (STOCK), i may have manually done this a while ago and forgotten about it but most likely I have the EPU switched on. any idea if that may be causing it?

When you enable EPU Power Saving Mode the motherboard will use power phase management, based upon system load, to reduce system power consumption. I don't see this increasing your CPU temperature.

Run CPU-Z to determine what your Core Voltage is. Here is an example:

CPU-_Z_i7-4790_K_Full_Load.jpg

Using IntelBurnTest v2.54 to generate the load you can see CPU load and Core Temperatures in the following graph:

Core_Temp_Grapher_i7-4790_K.jpg

If the cooler isn't mounted properly then you'll see the type of problem that you're having. Also, too high of a CPU Core Voltage will also cause rapid overheating of the CPU.

mypcisaspaceheater

Reputable
Jun 16, 2015

My CPU core voltage is 1.297 V according to ASUS CPU-Z

That is definitely high.

What is the motherboard's BIOS version number? If the BIOS version is from prior to the Intel Haswell Refresh series then you'll find that the voltage supplied to the CPU will be too high.

mypcisaspaceheater

Reputable
Jun 16, 2015

entering the command wmic bios get smbiosversion states that my SMBIOS version is 2205

Z97-A BIOS 2801 is the last version released (Nov. 18, 2015) to fix system stability. You should update to the latest BIOS version.

Your CPU core voltage of 1.297 V is what I would expect if you were overclocking the CPU into the 4.5 GHz range.

mypcisaspaceheater

Reputable
Jun 16, 2015

Alright any tips on updating and where to find the latest version? I understand some risk comes along with the process but so long as my CMOS has an alright battery i should be good right?

The latest BIOS version is available directly from the ASUS content servers:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/Z97-A/Z97-A-ASUS-2801.zip

Don't flash the BIOS during a thunderstorm or when there is a good chance that the power may go out during the update procedure.

mypcisaspaceheater

Reputable
Jun 16, 2015

Update: it has been storming and i havent formatted a usb yet but I did enter the bios to find the cpu voltage set to automatic. Should i try adaptive, the automatic voltage appear to just sit the cpu at a higher voltage. I am testing the EZ tuning software with my preferences set to box cooler and gaming, the idle temps are now about 2-3c cooler and at 30c. running a server (~26% cpu load, java script minecraft server) runs the pc at about 38c. p95 still shoots to 100c but i believe im not using the right version. realtemp xs bench yields temps in the 80s.

overall it seems to be doing better

If you're not using the right motherboard BIOS version, that correctly supports your CPU, then don't expect the voltage supplied to the CPU to be correct.

I don't use the automatic default voltage setting for my i7-4790K. I also don't use ASUS' tuning utilities. I use a negative offset voltage in the UEFI Setup to lower the CPU core voltage. Using extensive stress testing, I found the lowest voltage that I could use while still keeping the system completely stable while keeping the CPU temperature still in the safe zone.

Solution