Evidenz

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
Hello, just recently build my new pc:
i7 4790k (seidon 240m)
16gb 1886 (g.skillz)
msi gaming 7
msi 970 gtx
well the thing is the cpu seems to get hot really easy, and i dont know if it is normal, or if the bundled msi aplications did change something, or i just aplied the thermal paste wrong...
here is an image showing the temps without doing nothing (idle):
290u7i9.jpg

and while gaming, dragon age inquisition and dota2 it gets arround 62 - 70 c
the cpu fan 1 (seidon) and cpu fan 2 (seidon fans) are set in smart mode in the msi command center. so the fans are always under 60%.
well hope i can get some help :D
btw the temps also spikes some times..for example when i open an aplication, etc it goes from 30 to 46 or more, and then goes down right away... is this normal?

bye !

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
All well within specification.

Water coolers tend to have higher idle temperatures then air cooling. What you will see is that it won't get that much warmer then that. The warmer the coolant the more effective the cooling at the radiator as well.

Yes, you will see rapid changes in temperature on the CPU cores themselves.

Intel CPUs are safe up to about 90C, and will shut down at 105C. 70-80 is perfectly fine when under load.

Evidenz

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
should i try to set the fans manually?
also i havent even oc'd it :S
are the voltages right? since after intalling lots of software from msi (lots of oc app's) i dont know if there is something changed

thanks for the answers !
also after playing for some hours, da inquisition stays at 70c+ temps :s

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You can certainly make an attempt.

Overclocking on that CPU isn't really necessary. It will already boost up to 4.4Ghz by default. On Auto it may be applying too much voltage and your slightly higher temperatures.

You would need to list which voltages you are talking about to get advice on that.

Evidenz

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
hi again, as for the voltage is the same on the screenshot i think..
1.268 max while on 4.4ghz
also the two fans are conected to a single cpufan2 port
and the seidon iteself is connected to the cpufan1 (does it make any diference?)
the fans are set to smart.. in 70c they go to 66% i think...

Evidenz

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
wow.. just a moment ago deus ex human revolution freezed up my pc (and audio looped) o_O after 20 min of no response, i had to restart it..
also the temp was 60 or more (but it was freezed up too) since i can see it on the motherboard...
what could cause that? the cpu or the mb? o.o

Evidenz

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
well i actually tried putting all the fans at 100% (even the ones on the case)
and the temps only droped max 3c...
il try to bought a new thermal paste and see if it drops :/
temp is always arround 70 - 74 while gaming T_T...