i7 4790K underperform after upgrade

gnacca

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017
Hello,
I recently upgraded my cpu from i5 4460 to i7 4790K and, guess what, my cpu is under performing in a lot of benchmark.
I tried to:
- Load default option in my mobo;
- Check if that was a RAM problem (I upgraded from 8 to 32);
- Check if that was a cooler problem (my cpu stay at 50°C)
- Check the frequency of the cpu and ram (I tried an overclock too, 4.5GHz and 4.6GHz)
- Prayed for gaben and jesus.

These are my specs:
- CPU: i7 4790K
- MOBO: z87x-oc (bios upgraded to last version)
- RAM: 32GB 1867MHz
- GPU: nVidia GTX 970 (Gigabyte G1 Gaming rev 1.0)
- PSU: Corsair RM 750i
- HARD DRIVE:
- SSD: MX300 512GB;
- HDD: A Samsung one 2,5"
- COOLER: Corsair H45 (with the fan spinning like no tomorrow)

I already seached in other thread for a solution but no ones doesn't work.
Here is some screenshots:
http://prntscr.com/eizzdh
http://prntscr.com/eizyly
http://prntscr.com/ej002b

I really hope you can help me!

Sorry for my bad english i'm italian.

Solution
my 4770K (which is kinda similar to yours) does better after computer restart and as yours, very close to similar.
anyway, on the last link, you can see the results of "identical" system at 749 and yours at 743 - it's the same.
XTU does not even load the CPU to 100% most of the time.
Other factors like cache clock, RAM frequency and timings might play a role as well.
your CPU is doing fine.
Adding extra memory can cause the memory to be unable to operate at rated specifications.

Memory manufacturers guarantee the rated speeds of any memory to be obtainable only in the kit it is sold in. If you are adding an additional set of memory, the rated specifications may not work. You may need to relax the timings and/or frequencies in order to get two sets of memory to work. Another option you may need to do is increase the dram voltages or reducing the CPU multiplier.

gnacca

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017

Normaly a 4790K does 840+ in cinebench and 1100+ in Intel Extreme Tuning Utility Benchmark mine does from 650 to 750 and 950 to 1000

gnacca

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017

I upgraded all the memory kit before i had 2x4GB 1600 now i have 4x8GB 1867 (identical memory). I think the ram is not the problem

my 4770K (which is kinda similar to yours) does better after computer restart and as yours, very close to similar.
anyway, on the last link, you can see the results of "identical" system at 749 and yours at 743 - it's the same.
XTU does not even load the CPU to 100% most of the time.
Other factors like cache clock, RAM frequency and timings might play a role as well.
your CPU is doing fine.

Solution

gnacca

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017

Your CPU is the same of mine, the only difference stay in the TIM and a sistem for a better overclock. thx for your reply

you are welcome.
Unfortunately, there is more difference than just a TIM. yours have VT-d, mine does not (i think 4790K was the first K cpu that intel did not disabled VT-d). That means I can not use HW pass through to VMs.
So the idea of having windows VM with dedicated GPU for gaming on Gentoo system for everything else will have to wait for the next upgrade.