Question i7 4790k upgrade overall or go for better GPU?

LumRod

Honorable
May 2, 2013
Greetings all,

I have currently an unbalanced 5 year old build, an Haswell i7-4790k (top Cpu at the time) i paired with pretty average parts (Asus z-97 K). 16 GB It's 4x4, DDR3 of course, and although it has an M2 slot, it is SATA III, so i have nothing in there and use a 2,5" Crucial M4 SSD + 2T HDD. The GPU is a small Aero 1060 6GB. (When i got it i was thinking of going small format in the future).

Now i am at a dilema. I feel the overall system is kind of ageing. It's most demanding task is gaming (From Total War series to Borderlands 3, or Elite Dangerous to the upcoming (hopefully) Bannerlord) although i also stream videos from there to my TV., using UMS and PS4 first and now LG Smartshare. There is also a decent amount of usage for Adobe Lightroom.

At this point I can spend around 400-500 euros to move to AM4 and last gen AMD, and get DDR4 and m2 NVME, or i can spend about the same and get a 5700 (XT) or an RTX 2060 Super. What would you say is the most sensible way of spending that money now? I know the processor is about on par with ryzen 5 260x for gaming... Btw, i am currently using a 22" 1080p 60 Hz monitor, so there is that... that i may consider upgrade in the near future, for 1440p which i feel is more important for me than 144hz (i dont play competitive multiplayer).

Any ideas?

Thank you all in advance.

Current specs

CPU: i7 7960k
Motherboard: Asus 97 k
Ram: 4x4 GB
SSD/HDD: SSD Crucial M4 512, Samsung QVO 1TB. HDD 2TB WD 7200
GPU: MSI 1060 Aero
PSU: Seasonic 500W 80+ Gold (One year old)
Chassis:Fractal Design Define C

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
You will first need to post your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

I think your processor is good for it's age, you can do with a GPU change but that will also depend on your PSU's make, model and age as well as the chassis(in case you have clearance issues).

LumRod

Honorable
May 2, 2013
After going through a LOT of youtube videos and a few twists and turns my current plan is to wait for Ampere (and or AMD matures it's GPU drivers). Unless Bannerlord comes out unplayable on my rig i think i can wait that long for a lasting upgrade on GPU, and then some new platform (Zen 3?) should be coming out too., or intel's answer to it.

Thank you.

metallfan

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2013
I have a similar system and had a similar dilemma. I decided to wait and see what next gen consoles bring, and if they offer 4k 60fps as is rumored for Xbox I will probably keep the PC as is and buy a console for a better price/power ratio.

LumRod

Honorable
May 2, 2013
I have a similar system and had a similar dilemma. I decided to wait and see what next gen consoles bring, and if they offer 4k 60fps as is rumored for Xbox I will probably keep the PC as is and buy a console for a better price/power ratio.
Got a PS4 pro in the living room for my kids. So, my 4k 55" tv is taken... my PC is my "castle", if you get my meaning.