i7 4790k - Upgrading my gaming pc, will this give me a good boost from AMD FX8320 and is it worth it?

Mike Fisher 26

Reputable
Aug 7, 2015
I'm thinking of upgrading my gaming pc to an i7 4790k, new motherboard but keep the rest, looking at my existing rig what do people think, is it worth it?

My machine runs games well at near max but want to future proof a little for new games coming through like Fallout 4 & Star Wars Battlefront.

This is what I have now.

AMD FX8320 Black Edition 3.5/4 GHz
Asus M5A97 LE. 2.0
Gigabyte GTX 970 OC WINDFORCE 3X 4GB GDDR5
Crucial HyperX Fury (2 x 8Gb DDR3 1866 MHz)
Samsung SSD SAM 850 Pro 256GB x 2
Windows 7 64bit

Solution
The 4790K is a better CPU than the FX-8320 in every way, but it may not represent good value for money when you take into account the cost of the CPU and a new motherboard, as the increase in frame rate may be minimal.

Fallout 4 seems to be pretty demanding on the CPU if the system requirements are to be believed. Battlefront seems perfectly happy with just four threads, however.

If I were you, I'd wait and see what happens with Fallout 4 and take it from there.
The 4790K is a better CPU than the FX-8320 in every way, but it may not represent good value for money when you take into account the cost of the CPU and a new motherboard, as the increase in frame rate may be minimal.

Fallout 4 seems to be pretty demanding on the CPU if the system requirements are to be believed. Battlefront seems perfectly happy with just four threads, however.

If I were you, I'd wait and see what happens with Fallout 4 and take it from there.

Solution

Hawkshot

Admirable
this upgrade could be huge depending on what games you currently play, as I recently upgraded my computer from a FX-8350 to a I5-6600k and my frame rates on both Lol and WOW went from 70 on league - 420fps on league and my wow frames went from 45-60 all the way up to about 150fps due to way better single core performance.