i7 4790k voltage jumps to 1.366v when turbo boost

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael197a

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
I have a ASUS Z97-A motherboard and I'm running it with the default configuration (Didn't touch the bios much). I have turbo boost enabled which increases the clock speed of the 4790k to 4.4GHz. I also have Enhanced Intel Speed Technology enabled. My Issue is that when I run a stress test, or go into a game which has a high processor load the core voltage on the processor increases to 1.366v. Running ASUS real bench stress test, the temps are around 75c and go up to 80c. Temps are about 50-70c when I play a very demanding game (e.g. witcher 3). The voltage also increases to 1.366v when I play demanding games as well.

Cooler: Corsair H80i water cooler
Ambient temps 27-30c
Voltage is around 0.8v when idle.

Should I be worried with these temps and voltages? If so, how do i make them better? I want my computer setup to last me for quite some time.

Solution
If you run a CPU at high voltage, you shorten its life.
Therefore better to stick to 1.3V or less.
Read your motherboard manual to find out how.
If your PC crashes after you have dropped the voltage, turn the turbo speed down to 4.3GHz. You almost certainly won't notice a 2% speed difference anyway.

fruiten2

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

Those temps are very normal under stress testing so you shouldn't worry about it. You shouldn't worry either about the voltage it's automatically regulated. You could set it to manual but this could cause instability and you shouldn't change it if you don't know anything about it.

michael197a

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
What voltage should I set for safe 24/7 usage? clock would be @4.4GHz with turbo boost. I understand that lower voltages would result in lower temps and that the motherboard is overvolting my cpu when it goes above 1.3V. What is safer, to leave it as it is or set a manual voltage?

It's working as it is designed, so I doubt there is anything you could do with a warranty. But it is pushing high on vcore, that much is true. If you were to mess with it, it would run cooler, and draw less power. I'd look at an OC guide before you do anything.

lodders

Admirable
If you run a CPU at high voltage, you shorten its life.
Therefore better to stick to 1.3V or less.
Read your motherboard manual to find out how.
If your PC crashes after you have dropped the voltage, turn the turbo speed down to 4.3GHz. You almost certainly won't notice a 2% speed difference anyway.

Solution

michael197a

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
[UPDATE]
I decreased the cpu multiplier to 43 for all the cores, and when stress testing the max voltage was 1.216v with a max temp of 70c. Should I leave it as it is or should I decrease the multiplier even more?
Thanks for all your help.

Reactions: Argenkiwi

That suggests that 4.4Ghz was outside what your CPU likes. For .1Ghz to make that big a difference in voltage, tells me you found the best multiplier for it at 43.

Jan 28, 2022
[UPDATE]
I decreased the cpu multiplier to 43 for all the cores, and when stress testing the max voltage was 1.216v with a max temp of 70c. Should I leave it as it is or should I decrease the multiplier even more?
Thanks for all your help.
I've recently come across this issue and your suggestion about the multipliers helped. I reduced them by one from the Turbo Boost settings in the BIOS and then I was able to set them back to normal using the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility without any more crashes.

I think running the system at default settings for some time has taken a toll on the CPU due to the overvolting issue. #PlannedObsolescence

Status
Not open for further replies.