I7 4790k vs 6700k vs 5820k Gaming

SourCherry

Reputable
Apr 26, 2016
Title pretty much explains it. Planning on building a new gaming rig and whilst looking on ebay for some deals on some parts, I realized that there's not a very large difference in price between the 3 processors, even when you take into account memory and motherboard. I plan on overclocking whichever processor I end up with, and I am also buying a nice 360mm aio cooler to do so. This will probably be paired with a gtx 1070; although most of what I'm playing right now is Overwatch with some CS:GO thrown in there, but I plan on playing some of the AAA titles after finishing the build(Battlefield 1, DOOM, Mirror's Edge Catalyst). And while I am currently operating on a 1080p monitor atm I will be buying a 1440p one later, hence the 1070.

So my question boils down to: Which cpu is best for overclocking and gaming at 1080/1440p when paired with a gtx 1070, and some streaming thrown in as well?

All feedback appreciated as always :)

Solution
I like the idea of a 5820K in a high-end gaming computer - it's got just as much performance as the 4-core CPUs in today's games, provided that it's overclocked. Then, when games are released that use more than 4 cores, it'll have 50% more computing power on tap. If you plan to upgrade couple of years, and you just want to get the best CPU for the games you currently play, you're better off skipping the i7's altogether for now, and just getting an i5, which will give you every bit as much performance for around $100 less.

scuzzycard

Honorable
I like the idea of a 5820K in a high-end gaming computer - it's got just as much performance as the 4-core CPUs in today's games, provided that it's overclocked. Then, when games are released that use more than 4 cores, it'll have 50% more computing power on tap. If you plan to upgrade couple of years, and you just want to get the best CPU for the games you currently play, you're better off skipping the i7's altogether for now, and just getting an i5, which will give you every bit as much performance for around $100 less.

Solution