[SOLVED] i7 4790k vs i3 8350k

Solution
Here's the thing: 4790k in both multi threaded and single core performance, not to mention future proof. BUT, the jump from ddr3 to high speed ddr4 (like 3200) makes the FPS a wash. So from an overall system perspective they're probably almost identical for gaming.

marko55

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015
Here's the thing: 4790k in both multi threaded and single core performance, not to mention future proof. BUT, the jump from ddr3 to high speed ddr4 (like 3200) makes the FPS a wash. So from an overall system perspective they're probably almost identical for gaming.

Solution
I’ve not seen a benchmark but my expectation is it depends on the games. In games that only use up to 4 threads the 8350k should be better due to newer architecture and able to oc to a higher speed. However games that use more threads the 4790k should win.

Another factor to consider is upgrade path. The 4790k doesn’t have one due to using end of life socket and RAM.

InvalidError

Titan
Another factor to consider is upgrade path. The 4790k doesn’t have one due to using end of life socket and RAM.
Chances are that whichever way OP goes, LGA115x and DDR4 will be pretty much end-of-life too by the time he wants an upgrade anyway since Intel breaks backward-compatibility every other year. As Supa already pointed out, every CPU likely to ever fit in current Intel motherboards has already launched, better off buying the CPU you intend to bury the motherboard with than buying twice, especially considering how slowly Intel's higher-end CPU prices drop even on the used market.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
I would think the 4790k would beat out the 8350k in most games especially more modern games by a decent margin. I rarely see the 8350k in benchmarks but I do see the 7600k and 6600k and I have never seen the 7600k beat out the 4790k in anything. An example below.

2600k-revisit-mll.png

Chances are that whichever way OP goes, LGA115x and DDR4 will be pretty much end-of-life too by the time he wants an upgrade anyway since Intel breaks backward-compatibility every other year. As Supa already pointed out, every CPU likely to ever fit in current Intel motherboards has already launched, better off buying the CPU you intend to bury the motherboard with than buying twice, especially considering how slowly Intel's higher-end CPU prices drop even on the used market.
Yeah so let's take this one step at a time the i7-4790k is already the top CPU for it's platform so there is nowhere else to go unless you get a new platform,the i3-8350k is in the middle of the stack, you can go to the 9900k on the same platform this is an upgrade path and a huge one at that.
So considering how slowly Intel's higher-end CPU prices drop even on the used market you can sell the 8350k for a good price years in the future and get a 9900k either new or used doubling your performance (thread wise at least) .

Also here are some benchmarks for the i3-8350k both at stock and at 4.5Ghz,it keeps up even with the 7700k just fine even besting it in some games.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i3_8350K/11.html