I7 4790K vs I7 5820K

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Edward144

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
Hi, I know there's probably a million threads asking this question, but I'm at a point where I need to upgrade my PC and I'm not sure what to go for.

I use my computer for a fairly wide range of things. Gaming, photoshop, web and graphic design, and I'm just startin g to get into video editing and after effects. This is where I'm running into problems, after effects is constantly running out of memory and crashing, which has also lead to a blue screen.

My current specs are an I5 3570K overclocked to 4.4ghz, 16gb ram, 980ti

My two choices are either to buy an I7 4790K, Asus Z97-A motherboard, another 16gb of ram.

Or an I7 5820K, cheapest 2011-3 motherboard I found was a gigabyte GA-X99-UD3, and 32GB DDR4.

The price difference is about £180, money isn't really an issue its just a case of waiting another month, I'm not In a rush. So the higher end seems the better choice for long term, but if I go for the lower end option I could get the memory now and buy the CPU and motherboard later.

Any advice? Thanks

Solution
I'll only point this... from my favorite channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikq6CJBv_uA

It's a dummy guide to get 5820k at 4Ghz, watch it carefully and notice what he say about effectiveness of OC.

Now the above guide is a no brainier, it's not a flip coin, actually with 4790k it's a flip coin since it's clocked very high already.

Now if you wonder how high that CPU might actually go, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj4ixZE7EWo

So as you can see you can clock that Haswell as high as Devil's Canyon, so yes it's a flip coin but at clocks near 4,5 Ghz for both. Obviously it's harder to get the same clocks on 4790k with 5820k but not because of chip lottery, you need far better mobo (due to high amount of phases...

Ra_V_en

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
So I've convinced you to X99.. now i'll mess a bit more:

http://wccftech.com/intel-broadwell-e-core-i7-6950x-price/

Broadwell-E is making a big steps to show up... look over i7-6800K, 14nm, bit higher base clock and native support of DDR4 2400...
And 10 core unlocked i7 CPU will be available!
It will work on older versions of X99 but from article you can see there will be refreshed versions as well with some fancy connectivity.
I'm loving the platform even more every day.

I'm not saying you should wait for those to show up in Q1/Q2 since the price will likely be taxed for being a new tech for quite some time, but as stated earlier there will be lot of upgrade options in future compared to the mainstream Z97/Z170 platforms.

Edward144

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
Ok, terrifying moment. I've just spent about £650 on the 5820K, motherboard and DDR4. I've just remembered my uncle wants me to upgrade his old PC into a gaming PC for one of his kids, so I'm hoping I can offer him my old parts for cheap and recoup some the costs.

Edward144

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
Yeah the i5 has still been holding up pretty well for me up to now, I have noticed a few unusual performance drops in newer games that I can't put down to anything else.

With the PC he has given me to upgrade I would think he'd be happy with pretty much anything. It's a really old prebuilt thing with an IDE hard drive, two floppy drives, a CD not DVD drive, and a Modem. Plus he's given me an old 1150 motherboard, some Nvidia graphics card that can be powered straight from the motherboard (so I assume its not great), and a 350W psu.

So Im basically just going to build it literally out of my old parts, his GPU although I have an old one which may be better, and his PSU if its enough to handle it. It should work out in both our favours though, he said he'll pay for any parts needed. So it's better for him if I can give him my old stuff at a budget price.

Do you still have that 920 rig, that's from before I even got my first desktop. How well would that hold up today?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
It's a really old prebuilt thing with an IDE hard drive, two floppy drives
:D He'll be over the moon! what kind of old system is that 686/p2/p3?

Still got the 920, its in the spare room. Gets used most days and when friends come over we'll have a game or two. Funny, it only scores a 1000 less than the 2600k in Firestrike physics score ;D Not bad for an oldie.

Edward144

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
You know, I have no Idea. Im not even sure how to check. All I can tell you is the manufacturer and model is Advent 3115. It's got an AMD Athlon XP 2600+, and 512mb DDR. Thats written on the top.

I have a question now, parts have arrived and I've put it all together, I'm just about to start overclocking. But something I've noticed is booting seems slow. Well not so much the actual booting, after the MSI splash screen (I went with their X99A SLI PLUS) its almost instant. But when I first turn on or restart it takes about 20 seconds before my monitors pick up a signal and show that splash screen. Any ideas what could be causing it, I've installed all the drivers, it's in AHCI mode for the SSDs?

Ra_V_en

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
What kind of GPU you have attached? If it's some old one with no uefi support then that's very likely the problem.
Try the same on iGPU with dGPU taken out if it will be faster here's your answer if not then you must play more a bit with BIOS.

Edward144

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
Sorry for the slow update. First I don't believe fast boot was the issue, I've tried it on, off, and the MSI fastboot option, which is supposed to be better all to no effect. Second I dont think it could be GPU, it's a 980ti and only a few months old.

Other things I've tried is unplugging all usb devices, to no effect. And unplugging all but one stick of memory, which made it way slower.

I have been experiencing issues in windows the past few days. Tons of errors and warnings in event viewer (Windows 10 BTW) and some blue screens that are usually too fast to read. I know one is something to do with page file, and i think another was memory management.

I've just tried to repair windows which doesn't work, but I have found out my SSD isn't formatted to GPT for some reason, so it may be that it isn't working properly with the UEFI BIOS. I have reformatted an I'm in the process of reinstalling, so hopefully this is all good or I've wasted alot of time.

chrisITguy

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2015
If you're running out of 16GB of ram, you need to start closing programs or you have other issues. The only reason to use over 16 is virtualization and even then, why have that going while gaming?

Edward144

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
Im not just gaming, I was only running out of memory with things like after effects and video editing, which since upgrading is sitting at around 20-25GB when using it. I have never needed over 16GB for anything else, and I honestly thought I would never need more than that.

Also I can now boot in UEFI mode instead of legacy which is a bonus, seems faster but maybe I'm just imagining it.

Ra_V_en

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Don't bother comparing the RAM usage for the old PC, windows tend to use as much ram as you have for optimized responsiveness which includes file caching and honestly I'm quite surprised they didn't invent this earlier before Vista.
But lest concentrate on current system behavior... do you have any instability issues after the fresh OS install if so what are the symptoms?

Edward144

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
Hmm, I'm not 100% sure about issues yet, it took me most of the night to get everything installed and back the way it was, and I wasn't paying too much attention.

The only things I can think of was twice when watching videos (one youtube, one a bluray) my sound cut out and the video sped up for about 10 seconds. But I think that was because I had my audio interface plugged into one of the non standard USB 3 ports (as in one that uses a separate controller). I had problems with it on my old PC for the same reason. I've changed to USB 2 now, but I haven't had time to check it.

The only other thing I can think of was when I moved my steam window to another monitor it disappeared, and wouldn't come back even if I exited and reopened it.