i7 4790k vs i7 6700k

Solution
G

I wouldn't upgrade an i7 4790k to an i7 6700k. Your system is current and very capable to serve you well for several more years.

Anyone like me considering buying a new pc or building their own to replace an old system (mine is a first generation i7 940 from 2009, for example) should go right to an i7 6700k, imo. The cost between the i7 4790k and 6700k is minimal and the latter will use DDR4 RAM, which is becoming the standard (and which is to say that if I wanted to upgrade my cpu in the future I might just need that DDR4 RAM anyway).

For some, however, it just might boil down to cost. Nothing wrong with going i7 4970k and DDR3 RAM if on a tight budget where a few bucks less matters more than the time...

rmpumper

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009

Won't need to upgrade at the very least until PS5 comes out. If you get a mid range CPU, i.e. 8350 or non K i5, every 3-5 years, if you have a high end one like K i7, you can keep it for 5-7 years.

There is a difference in the CPU's for gaming but that difference is so small that you would neither notice or care that it's there. I would say that you could get away with using that CPU for 5 more years if you needed to. I personally would upgrade sooner though because I like to have something new every 3 years or so. Then again I don't buy components that are as expensive as the GTX 980 ti though and I typically get the Core i5 instead of an i7.

Mattb81

Reputable
Aug 23, 2015

Your PC is pretty top notch.

Your CPU and GPU are some of the best you can get for gaming. I don't really think either will be a bottleneck for a while.

Upgrading to 20nm skylake CPU equivalent will only give you a minor increase for a lot of dollars. I believe your GPU is also the top one and the next one won't be out until 2016.

So you basically have almost the top CPU and the top GPU. You can't really get much better without spending 100's or 1000's of dollars for only a minor improvement.

You may see an bigger improvement in adding more RAM or higher speed RAM, but maybe not.

Cpu performance won't really be the main issue, the amount of supported pcie lanes will hinder the 980ti in sli, yes the performance will be amazing but an 2 x 8x pcie 3 slots which is what you will if you chose to slit have already hinders the gtx 980 by 10% or so.

Seeing as how the 980 ti is about 20-30% faster than the gtx 980 you will see considerable performance wasted due to the limitations of the platform. I'd suggest avoiding sli of that card on that system, Should you feel you need for additional performance you will want to simply sell off the 980ti and buy the latest and greatest card out. Run that in a 16x pcie 3 slot to avoid situations where an x8 times slots do a number on the performance of the dual cards.

Soul slayero

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015

am at 16gb and 2400hz

Soul slayero

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015

am not 100% understanding what your saying in this id liek to gget 165fps in bf4 as the monitor i am geting is 1440p 165hz
the one 980ti can only push bf4 to 88-130fps in 1440p with aa on x2 vs x4 dont really need x4 but id still like to get 165 fps and i jsut got my 980ti lol good card but 1440p is very hard to push at high frame rates

Mattb81

Reputable
Aug 23, 2015

OK - your signature says different.

I don't think you'll see any noticeable increase in gaming from any upgrade and it will cost a lot to even get that difference.

Soul slayero

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015

yea i needed to update my sig i did a cost to upgrade and it would be like 750$ for new motherbroad ram cpu i could buy an other 980ti and get a 50% boost i might just do that

Mattb81

Reputable
Aug 23, 2015

What spentshells is saying is that when you go SLI your PCIe ports that house the GPUs go from 16x speed to 2 x 8x speed.

This means the data being transferred to and from your GPUs are slower, and that will be the bottleneck. He believes you're better off having just ONE GPU card at 16x speed rather than two GPUs at 8x speed.

So be careful if you go SLI, you may not see that 50% boost.

Soul slayero

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015

would it really be that big of a differents?

Mattb81

Reputable
Aug 23, 2015
He says you'll see considerable performance wasted - ie the cards can run faster than what 8 lanes can give.

Check out this post http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/292370-30-pcie-pcie-matter

It seems that some motherboards are designed for SLI - they can all do it, but if you have one GPU on a 16 lane PCIe and one on a 8 lane PCIe slot, they both run at 8 lane speeds.

A motherboard doesn't always come with two fully-featured PCI Express x16 slots. Available PCI Express lanes are often distributed across two slots, meaning that the second PCIe port may only run eight lanes electrically. This also means that the speed of one physical x16 PCIe port decreases when you use expand out to a second slot. If you're running a P55-based platform, like our test system, this applies to you.

But don't worry yet. Our tests show that even with the fast Radeon HD 5870 and Radeon HD 5850 cards, the performance impact when switching from PCI Express x16 to x8 is only a few frames per second (remember to check out next week's coverage for more in-depth exploration of PCI Express scaling). Additionally, both cards are throttled at x8, even if you combine a x16 and a x8 slot. According to the GPU-Z tool, the CrossFire configuration is completely synchronized.

With Nvidia, you have a bit more flexibility in slot selection. Even the fastest graphics cards are recognized as an SLI configuration, even if you don't use the SLI bridge connector and instead let the PCIe interface handle all data transfers. However, this comes at the expense of some performance. Ideally, you should always use a bridge connector to link the two cards together. Interestingly, GPU-Z shows that when you combine Nvidia cards in x16 and x8 slots, each card in the SLI configuration still runs at the speed of its respective slot.

With a bridge connector, the difference in speed is within the measuring tolerance. Without a bridge connector, though, you can clearly see that the cards use different interface speeds, and you witness a performance hit of up to 13% in SLI mode.

From this thread http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-crossfire-nvidia-sli-multi-gpu,2678-5.html

Soul slayero

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015

5% wont make any differents at all then if its on x8 >.>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rctaLgK5stA found this video also it seems to not really matter at all is this ture? i called nvida and they said it will not bottleneck myvideo cards there made to run x8

Soul slayero

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015

so based off that tomshardware fourm and this video think ill be ok i might not get 100% out of what the card can give me but 95% still seems good for me (ik the video card only scales 30-70%)