[i7-4790k] What kind of temps should I expect when switching out from stock cooler?

Haraven

Reputable
May 21, 2015
To give you a little bit of context, I've recently purchased a gaming rig, which includes an i7-4790k with stock cooler. It's currently non-OC (with Turbo Boost turned on), but I get alarmingly high temps (CPU only; the rest of the parts don't go past 60-70) when playing more demanding games, like the Witcher 3 (it goes up to 90+C pretty fast). The case cooling is rather reasonable (3x 120mm and 2x 80mm fans), the thermal paste is okay, and the room temperature doesn't go past 25C (if that much), so I'm guessing my overheating issues are caused by the crappy stock cooler I have mounted at the moment.
I'll be buying an aftermarket one in the next few weeks, and I was wondering how much of a temperature drop I should expect, if I buy something like http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-air-cooler/hyper-212-evo/ ? I'd go for the more expensive options, but they're a little out of my reach at the moment. If there are better CPU cooler options for around the same price, out there, I'd be more than glad to hear them out.
Thanks in advance.

davmazin

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013
Never use a stock cooler man there are cheap coolers that are good and costs about 30$ (was what I paid for my CM hyper evo 212, just make sure you install the thing correctly and it will drop your temps by a lot y was at 80C when i was with the stock cooller for my 2600k then droped to the 30C to 50 or 60C under heavy gaming (not really sure maybe its only 45C to 50C) forgotten to check it since its pretty cool now

Haraven

Reputable
May 21, 2015
Well, then, it's settled. I'll be buying the hyper 212 evo ASAP. I'm getting real tired of not being able to play current gen games because of the CPU. Thanks, everyone.

TRENDING THREADS