[SOLVED] i7 4790k with Cryorig R1 Ultimate cooler

Nov 30, 2018
Hi community,

got this setup CPU i7 4790k with cooler R1 Cryorig R1
case- Fractal Design Define R5 Window with 4 noctua 1500 RPM coolers
Motherboard - Asus maximus hero VII
When I have CPU in default bios settings , 4->4,4 Ghz and I started the stress CPU 100% I got temperatures around 75-80 C. I think this cooler is pretty good and should keep temps under 60 C without a problem.

I tried to OC my boost clock to 4,6 Ghz, my temps went immidiately to 95-100 C.

Wanna ask if anybody can help me to solve this problem, it frustrate me a lot and I dont know what to do.

I cleaned the cooler from the dust as well

Solution
I would suggest making sure the CPU temperatures are in the normal range before overclocking. Run the same stress test at the default UEFI BIOS settings for the processor to establish a baseline.

Then try the overclocking again at a lower core voltage. Then do the stress test again. And proceed from there base on those results.
Nov 30, 2018
@terry4536 I was about to remounte with fresh thermal paste, it is necessary to do it in lets say 1 year intervals?

Also how can I get the right CPU voltages if I restored all the setting (into BIOS) to default ones, mby I need to google proper CPU core voltages for this type of CPU.

I would suggest making sure the CPU temperatures are in the normal range before overclocking. Run the same stress test at the default UEFI BIOS settings for the processor to establish a baseline.

Then try the overclocking again at a lower core voltage. Then do the stress test again. And proceed from there base on those results.

Solution

I've never agreed with that policy. If the CPU cooler is still effectively cooling the processor, I see no reason to reapply the thermal paste. And if the cooling effectiveness drops off then obviously don't wait for the end of the year.

Every time you take the CPU cooler off and remount it, you run the risk of breaking something.

Resetting the BIOS to the default settings (on the exit menu) or clearing the CMOS will clear all overclocks.

That returns every thing to the default settings for that version of motherboard BIOS. That includes the default Intel or AMD settings for the processor.

TRENDING THREADS