i7 4790K & XMP Profile for Corsair Vengence 2400MHz causes BSOD

jamiepatterson441

Honorable
Jan 3, 2018
Hi there, I recently got a set of 2 x 8gb Corsair Vengence 2400MHz RAM for my Z97 based system, (i7 4790K and Gigabyte Z97 D3H) I enabled XMP and realised a great performance boost in my Flight Simulator (P3D) by about 20FPS, seems hard to believe I know. All was going well for 20 minutes until I had a BSOD. So I decided to dial back the XMP profile back to 1333MHz. Launched again and everything is fine. I then tried a manual overclock of 2000MHz, which was more stable and for longer, say around 40 minutes. I'm pretty new to overclocking RAM so I would like some help. Even to gain stability at 2000MHz would be fantastic as there was no real difference between 2000MHz and 2400MHz on my machine.

Many Thanks!, Jamie :)

Solution
Check you MB manual. It generally prefers the memory set in a specific way( ie: use black slots for two sticks in dual channel ).

What do you have on VTTDDR on the bios? Is it on auto?What about CPU voltage? You are overclocking the memory so you need to give it more juice, those 2 settings control that.

You can also try this guide:

Step 1 -- When does the error occur

Follow this step by step guide to learn how to fix the blue screen memory management error.
This error suddenly appears when your Windows is booting in normal condition and then restarts automatically.

Step 2 -- Open windows in safe mode

For the purpose of this tutorial, we will open our windows in safe mode. In order to do so, press the F8 key when the system is...

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
Can you post images from CPU-Z?
Check if there are any bios updates for your MB that fix the problem.
If problem presists run MEMTEST86 to rule out faulty memory sticks.

It is weird that the BSOD is on a timer. Check your temps and give us the message from the BSOD. There is an application that will keep the BSOD showing until you input something so you can take a picture of it.

Also check if the XML profile has the timings that the manufacture provided, if they are different manually set them in the bios.

jamiepatterson441

Honorable
Jan 3, 2018

Hi, I updated to the most recent Bios update today and I had no luck. As for CPU-Z I checked everything thing earlier including the voltages and they were set as instructed by the XMP profile with the correct timings aswell. This also matched up with what I was seeing in the Bios.

The errors from the BSODs tend to be "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" It's also not that the BSODs were on timers it was just usually what I got to when I applied 2000MHz and I only got around 15 minutes with the XMP.

I will start with MEMTEST86 and see where I go from there. Many Thanks :)

jamiepatterson441

Honorable
Jan 3, 2018

I ran Memtest86 and the results came back all good. No errors. Shouldn't be an issue with the hardware then, just an issue with my technique. Would you have any ideas on what could be causing XMP or evening settings like 2000MHz to be unstable. Could it be my Voltage?

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
Yes, voltage could be a problem. Check the XMP profile and see if the timings and voltage is set to the same values as the corsair ram web page. I had the same problem with my g.skill ram having the MB loading a XMP profile with different timings. You can manually set them if they are wrong on the bios.

jamiepatterson441

Honorable
Jan 3, 2018

Hi again, I checked earlier and I can only choose 1.64 and 1.66 Volts, my kit is rated at 1.65 so I chose 1.66 earlier and made sure all the timers were correct too earlier. I'll go and do it again just to make sure and I will report back in a few. Many Thanks :D

have you tried clocking it differently and set it to 1.64?

also SPECCY can be useful for this problem, run it, goto the memory of your pc section it will throw you a table of possible xmp that are on the chips themselves and which one your system is using, it might help you tweak it to be closer to wehat the corsair ram wants..

example below of my ram.

5zDWb3D.png

jamiepatterson441

Honorable
Jan 3, 2018

Yes I've tried 2000MHz at 1.64 and had no Luck. I will try SPECCY now and I will report later. Thank you :)

jamiepatterson441

Honorable
Jan 3, 2018

Hi, I tried the XMP profile entering 11-13-13-31 manually and still no luck. BSOD "Memory_Management" after 10 minutes. I've dialled back to 2000MHz and the Volts are at 1.64. I'll see if this works. Would you have any ideas on other things I could try if this were to fail?

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
Check you MB manual. It generally prefers the memory set in a specific way( ie: use black slots for two sticks in dual channel ).

What do you have on VTTDDR on the bios? Is it on auto?What about CPU voltage? You are overclocking the memory so you need to give it more juice, those 2 settings control that.

You can also try this guide:

Step 1 -- When does the error occur

Follow this step by step guide to learn how to fix the blue screen memory management error.
This error suddenly appears when your Windows is booting in normal condition and then restarts automatically.

Step 2 -- Open windows in safe mode

For the purpose of this tutorial, we will open our windows in safe mode. In order to do so, press the F8 key when the system is starting. As a result, the Advanced Boot Options will appear. Select the Safe mode option and hit the enter key.

Step 3 -- Open Control Panel

In order to resolve the problem, you will need to test your ram. In order to do so, go to the Start menu and open Control Panel.

Step 4 -- Open Administrative Tools

In the control panel window, open Administrative Tools.

Step 5 -- Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool

As a result, the Administrative Tools window will open up. From here, open the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool.

Step 6 -- Restart now option

In the Windows Memory Diagnostic window, select the first option which is recommended. As a result, your system will restart right away and will check for problems.

Step 7 -- Diagnosis will begin

After the computer has restarted, you will see that the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool will be checking for memory problems. This diagnosis might take several minutes. Once the process has been completed, the system will restart and will open in normal condition.
If the error occurs again, simply replace your memory modules. And that's it. In this manner, you can easily resolve the blue screen error of memory management.

if no errors are found it has nothing to do with hardware and more to do with drivers.

Solution

jamiepatterson441

Honorable
Jan 3, 2018

I'll have to see if I can find the MB manual online as my one is currently in the roof-space. My VTTDDR is on auto as well in the bios