[SOLVED] i7-4810MQ driver on a Dell Latitude E6540

Oct 2, 2021
Hi everyone. I need some advice. My notebook is plenty of years old by now, but several components have been upgraded and it is still running really quite well on Windows 10 64-bit. When I inspect the driver for my CPU in Device Manager, though, things look a little odd/dated:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4810MQ CPU @ 2.80GHz
Driver Provider:Microsoft
Driver Date:21/04/2009
Driver Version:10.0.19041.546
Digital Signer:Microsoft Windows

Now, I don't believe all of that can be accurate, especially the date, since this CPU model was first produced in 2014. I'm also pretty sure that the last driver update came through Dell SupportAssist, so I'm not sure why Microsoft is the signer, but it's possible that I'm remembering an Intel HD Graphics driver update instead.

Looking at Dell's list of drivers offered for my system, I find the following:
Intel Chipset Device Software
This package contains the driver for Intel Chipset Device Software. The Chipset driver helps to install INF files in a system. The INF files are used in turn by the operating system for installation of software and drivers.
Fixes & Enhancements
- Supports more Dell systems.
Version
10.1.18121.8164, A09
Category
Chipset
Release date
25 Mar 2020
Available formats
File Format: Update Package for MS Windows 32-Bit
File Name: Intel-Chipset-Device-Software_5MPRF_WIN_10.1.18121.8164_A09.EXE

Now this appears to be the tiniest update to their previous release, which was 10.1.1.18, A04 on 02 Jun 2016. Oddly, neither of these are being suggested by Dell's SupportAssist update tool, and the very same webpage that shows me their driver list where I copied the above from, also tells me "Your system is up to date - No driver updates found. Your system has the most recent updates".

Meanwhile, checking on Intel's website, the only drivers offered for the i7-4810MQ are related to Intel Graphics: Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40]

To compare this to the situation on the GPU front, the latest AMD Radeon driver Dell is offering dates from 2015. I have long since switched to getting the drivers from AMD directly, and I still receive regular updates, with no issues thusfar from using the generic drivers instead of Dell's. Considering that Dell realistically will not be working on any new updates for this system, I will likely have to switch to generic drivers for most components as time goes on.

So what do I do? Keep it as is, since I'm not experiencing any issues? It concerns me slightly, though, that what is available through Dell seems severely dated, and unlikely to be updated (fair enough). Do I maybe just do the slight update to 10.1.18121.8164 , even though that is not currently being suggested by Dell's tools? At least it's still through Dell, so it should be stable on my system (but do I need to worry about the 32-bit part, or that just the installer?)
Or do I keep looking for a more recent driver directly from Intel, or is that risky, since it's a Dell motherboard? Or do CPU drivers not really need updating after the first stable release, for the most part?

And what about the Intel Graphics? It looks like I have two rather confusing options - the version numbers bear no correlation to the release dates:
  • 20.19.15.5063, A10 (19 Feb 2019) from Dell
  • 15.40.48.5171 (2 May 2021) from Intel
Of course, I may not even be getting any use out of Intel Graphics, since I have a dedicated GPU, so that part may well be a non-issue.

So many questions. Perhaps I worry too much. But to conclude, I have always coped pretty well on updating and maintaining my systems myself, but I find the latter-day trend of manufacturers customising everything and breaking compatibilities to lead to a bit of a confusing situation, where you really start needing in-depth knowledge to just do basic maintenance, especially when one reaches the end-of-life phase. So any advice you may have on this front, aside from the obvious "buy a new system", will be much appreciated.

A few specs, in case it's needed:
General ------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer Brand Name: DELL Latitude E6540
Product Serial Number: 2BFXM12
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (x64) Build 19042.1237 (20H2)
Processor Name: Intel Core i7-4810MQ
Original Processor Frequency: 2800.0 MHz
CPU Code Name: Haswell-MB
CPU Platform: PGA947
Processor Voltage: 1.2 V
Number of CPU Cores: 4
Number of Logical CPUs: 8
Motherboard Model: DELL 0VWNW8
Motherboard Chipset: Intel QM87 (Lynx Point)
Motherboard Slots: 5xPCI Express x1, 1xPCI Express x16
PCI Express Version Supported: v3.0
USB Version Supported: v3.0
BIOS Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
BIOS Date: 06/13/2019
BIOS Version: A27
UEFI BIOS: Capable
Processor Voltage: 1.2 V
Processor Upgrade: Socket rPGA988B
Socket Designation: SOCKET 0
On-board Device Description: "Intel HD Graphics"
On-board Device Status: Enabled
Memory Device Type: DDR3 SDRAM Synchronous
Memory Capacity: 16 GBytes
Memory Speed: 800.0 MHz (DDR3-1600 / PC3-12800)
Module Manufacturer: Crucial Technology

Intel Haswell-MB - Host Bridge/DRAM Controller [C0] -----------------------

Driver Manufacturer: INTEL
Driver Description: Intel(R) Xeon(R) processor E3 - 1200 v3/4th Gen Core processor DRAM Controller - 0C04
Driver Version: 10.1.1.38
Driver Date: 03-Oct-2016

Intel Haswell-DT - PCI Express x16 Controller -----------------------------

Driver Manufacturer: INTEL
Driver Description: Intel(R) Xeon(R) processor E3 - 1200 v3/4th Gen Core processor PCI Express x16 Controller - 0C01
Driver Version: 10.1.1.38
Driver Date: 03-Oct-2016

ATI/AMD Radeon HD 8790M (Mars-XTX) ----------------------------------------

Driver Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Driver Description: AMD Radeon HD 8790M
Driver Version: 27.20.15003.5017 (Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.3.2)
Driver Date: 26-Mar-2021

Intel Haswell-MB GT2 - Integrated Graphics --------------------------------

Driver Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Driver Description: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
Driver Version: 20.19.15.5063
Driver Date: 29-Oct-2018

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You should ideally be on version 21H1 for your OS. If I were you, I'd manually install all drivers sourced from Dell's support site, in an elevated command, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, while the laptop is disconnected from the www and then reconnect to the www after the driver installations were over, run Windows Update and let the OS do it's thing.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You should ideally be on version 21H1 for your OS. If I were you, I'd manually install all drivers sourced from Dell's support site, in an elevated command, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, while the laptop is disconnected from the www and then reconnect to the www after the driver installations were over, run Windows Update and let the OS do it's thing.

Solution