i7-4820K not performing very well anymore?

Daniel_464

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017
Hey everyone,

I've had my desktop pc for about 4 years now and i've been incrementally upgrading it over time adding new GPU's and drives over the years and it has been performing really well. However lately my CPU that has never been replaced has been chugging, I'm getting a lot of random lag spikes and in my task manager it would sometimes jump to 99% and hang there for a while. I've tried disabling programs on start up and trying to clear programs up when I am using it but it's kind of annoying as I haven't really had issues in the past but now it seems to be going a lot slower. Could my CPU be wearing out how long do they usually last for? I did a UserBenchmark below as well and the CPU score was kind of low compare to the averages.

My current build is:
UserBenchmarks: Game 118%, Desk 73%, Work 62%
CPU: Intel Core i7-4820K - 65.7%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080-Ti - 163.3%
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - 82.9%
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - 74.5%
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB - 107.4%
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB - 79.5%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB - 77.7%
RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 C10 4x8GB - 92.1%
MBD: Asus SABERTOOTH X79

Can I replace my CPU with a newer one or do the newer CPU's use a newer CPU slot not the older LGA2011?

Alas, socket 2011 was replaced with 2011-3, and then 2066 in the HEDT arena, and, mainstream mainboards is using socket 1151...

You might experiment with one wipe and reload (format/fresh install) on just one drive (try a different OS drive) just to make sure your lags/stutters are not caused by perhaps a stall/stutter waiting'data freeze while waiting on data from another drive...(naturally, the spinning drive would be a prime suspect in such sypmtoms, and I'd start running without it first...)

Also, check CPU temps with HWMonitor to make sure heat sink paste/thermal spreader contact has not degraded over the years...

Daniel_464

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017

So i'd pretty much have to replace half my pc in order to upgrade the CPU right? New motherboard, ram and CPU you can't use ddr3 on the newer motherboards or can you? I do a lot of video editing for work and I find that's where the stutters the worst. Adobe premiere seems to use 99% of the CPU and it just chugs so badly as of late. I am running all my programs off of the 256gb ssd, video games off of the 500gb ssd and video files for editing on the 1TB ssd and all the drives seem to have the same issue regardless.

I checked the CPU temp's and each core seems to average around 49°C degrees is that high or low for a CPU?