i7-4820k + P9X79LE + ...my old parts

shawngibson

Reputable
May 14, 2014
Hi, a friend sent me here, so I apologize if I am jumping in very quickly.

I built a computer a couple of years ago, an i7-960 with a DX580-G board, and 24Gb RAM.

It is for a DAW, and it has never worked. It will run doing small chores (internet for example), but it crashes (just freezes up, no blue screen) when I try to load my samples and connect to my master box (with Cubase). It will run for a few minutes, then crash.

I have another similar box (i7-960, 24GB ram, ASUS board) with other samples running on it, and it has always performed flawlessly.

So far on this crashing box I have replaced the drives, swapped the ram, reinstalled Win7Pro, set all my IPs to static addresses (my DAW is a network of 2 slaves and one master box)...and everything else I can think of. The only think left is to replace the mobo and processor.

I guess my question is, for now at least to get me up and running, should the 4820k+P9X79LE work with my old RAM? It is Crucial, and the part is "mt16jtf51264az-1g4d1".

I only have enough funds to get the motherboard and processor, so hopefully I can do this?

Suggestions please and thank you:)

Shawn

shawngibson

Reputable
May 14, 2014

Thanks, I didn't realize it was that simple. Thankfully, the speeds are supported:) So now I have some confidence to buy...and upgrade to 64Gb with new ram as funds allow:)

Thanks very much:)

TRENDING THREADS