Question i7 4930K overheating 85°C idle with Corsair H100i cooler!

Centurion855

Honorable
Aug 13, 2015
Hello everyone,

I am in need of advice regarding my Intel i7 4930K cpu that suddenly started overheating. I have this pc since many years and ran my CPU overclocked at 4Ghz with a Corsair H100i all-in-one water cooler. I stress tested intensively with Intelburntest and my temps were decent.

Screenshot of successful stress testing with IBT overclock of 4.1Gh with max temp 74°C:
cjk7vNZ.png

Now since yesterday I noticed in HWinfo that my cpu is running at 85-88°C on idle! I have no clue how this suddenly started happening.
I even recently cleaned the dust out of my whole pc with a compressed aircan and my OC settings in BIOS remained the same.

I have now "loaded optimized defaults" in the BIOS and even with cpu clockspeed back at stock of 3.40Ghz my cpu is 81°C on idle.

I am suspecting that a recent forced windows 10 update has yet again broken/changed something that has lead to this.

Screenshot task manager & temperatures idle:
Z7DhQlj.png

I think i will try to roll back the latest installed windows updates and check if my Corsair icue / corsair link software is still up to date because the logo on my cpu cooler is now changing color suddenly so there might be an issue there too. Anyone else have advice for me? My cpu is running way too hot atm even with just only firefox open.

My full systemspecs:
CPU Intel i7 4930K OC @ 4.4Ghz [valid.x86.fr] (this was only for the cpu-z log, cpu been running on 4.0Ghz constantly)
CPU Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100i
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR3-1866
Graphics Zotac GeForce RTX 3080 Trinity OC & MSI GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X (card for gaming and the old one extra for mining)
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
Storage Samsung 840 Evo 1TB SSD & 2x HGST 7K4000 4TB HDD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Custom fans Corsair Dual Light Loop RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX750i