[SOLVED] i7 4960x build?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I can get my hands on a 4960x almost free...that's the good part.
Looking at stats indicates that this proc is STILL no slouch, 6 core, 12 thread, and good clocks.

The bad seems to be that I can't find a USED motherboard under the ~$220 mark, and it will require a water cooler and GOOD PSU. I have case, memory, drives, etc to build it out.
All in all it looks like I could build it out for roughly $400. I am unsure what manner of 'pre built' this actually came in, so I haven't checked for a bare bones similar to what it would have come from.

A friend's work purchased and built these as a side project 5 years ago. There were 6 or them, and they opted to keep a couple for now that hadn't even been turned on. These were the "most" used of them and even then likely only have a couple of hundred hours, if that. The case and other components of that build are not available due to contract, so I can't buy the system whole.

Would you spend that to build one of these out?

Solution
To bad for you too. I actually bought a system from my work for my wife's home office. Dell optiplex 7010 with 8gb of ram (bumping this to 16). 500gb drive (pulled from system, purchasing an SSD for it anyway). But the good part was an i7 3770. I got said system for 50 dollars!!! Very happy about that. Plus it's a tower, not small form factor.

Yes the system is 5 years old, but from what I've read, you could still even pair up a gtx 1070 with it and it would still keep up pretty well. Amazing that a 5 year old system like that is still so viable.

That division at work replaced all of their systems with i5 Microsoft surface studios. I tried to tell them that they could upgrade the older Dell systems. Oh well. What was...
To bad for you too. I actually bought a system from my work for my wife's home office. Dell optiplex 7010 with 8gb of ram (bumping this to 16). 500gb drive (pulled from system, purchasing an SSD for it anyway). But the good part was an i7 3770. I got said system for 50 dollars!!! Very happy about that. Plus it's a tower, not small form factor.

Yes the system is 5 years old, but from what I've read, you could still even pair up a gtx 1070 with it and it would still keep up pretty well. Amazing that a 5 year old system like that is still so viable.

That division at work replaced all of their systems with i5 Microsoft surface studios. I tried to tell them that they could upgrade the older Dell systems. Oh well. What was interesting is as the Dell systems were pulled, one of the workers even asked one day why something in Excel I think was struggling. I looked at the CPU usage and found the i5 nearly maxed out. I had to explain that the brand new 6000 series i5s just weren't as strong as the older i7 CPUs since they had no hyper threading and that the i7 was the high end cpu of it's time.

Solution

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador

This particular office is on a 5/2.5 year upgrade plan by contract.

They buy new Dell systems to spec by position every five years. At the 2.5 year mark they upgrade things like memory and SDD to newer standards in order to get better perf out of the current machine(s).