i7 4970K too warm?

Adnro

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
The program MSI Afterburner is showing temperatures like 70 - 90 °C while gaming and i am not sure if this is right? While idle / Interneting the program CPUID HWMonitor shows 38 - 41 °C

Processor: i7 4790K
Watercooler: Corsair Hydro Series H60

What should i do?

Solution

The way the cooler is installed in the system, on the CPU and/or radiator is mounted in the case.

It could be that your pump is failing, and it could be that your radiator is clogged, but we need to work through one thing at a time. The mopst commin issue os an installation that needs to be better.

Here http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html is general information on Intel temperatures.

I have an i7 4790K and when overclocked to 4.8Ghz is exceeds 80C a bit under full stress tests, but never in normal use or gaming, and I use a Noctua D15S. It idles around 33C.

What is the ambient temperature in your computer room?
To what speed is your CPU overclocked?
What is the VCore voltage for your overclock?

If you are in an unairconditioned space in summer and the ambient room temperature is in the upper around 25C, then the idle is fine, if ambient is closer to 20C, then it is too high. You should not be exceeding 80C on that cooler under normal use (85C if in a warm room)

Then your temperatures are definitely too high. I would expect as good or better on the stock Intel cooler.

Possibilities:

a. Your cooler is not set up properly and the fans and/or pump are running too slow.
b. Your case airflow is horrible (location of computer?)
c. Your waterblock needs to be mounted better to your motherboard.
d. Other cooler issues.

As soon as you reach 90 C that's when you need to consider better cooling options/cleaning case, etc. That's when Intel CPU's start throttling, and eventually shut down around 100 C to prevent any damage to the CPU, still perfectly safe though.

To clarify: No such thing as "too warm", because you can't damage the CPU in any way shape or form without overvolting to oblivion. The only thing you need to be aware of is throttling, basically lowering the voltage and frequency.

Adnro

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
I just played witcher on high and it keeps the CPU around 76-80 °C not higher with Afterburner. I got a sharkoon case with 2 fans in front of the case and there is no room to place new ones. I can remove the watercooler without messing with the coolpaste? I see the watercooler spinning in the case.
3BHnarZ

You cannot remove the waterblock without having to replace the thermal paste. 80C is OK , but higher than I'd like. The H60 is a lower-end cooler.

There's no 'magic bullet' we can fire over the Internet :). You need to research, and check the settings of your cooler carefully.

Did you install the cooler yourself?

Adnro

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
No i did not install the cooler myself i got 2 corsair coolers here at home but i think the H60 is newer. I don't know what the other one is. I will reapply the cooler with new paste and see if that helps

Adnro

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
What you mean with installation issue? It's Corsair Hydro H80i the one i now have. I will re-paste it and put the cooler back on and give it another try. Room temprature was around 26°C.

Adnro

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016

What cooler do you use? I am thinking about Noctua NH-D14. But first i give this H80i another try and add another fan.

The way the cooler is installed in the system, on the CPU and/or radiator is mounted in the case.

It could be that your pump is failing, and it could be that your radiator is clogged, but we need to work through one thing at a time. The mopst commin issue os an installation that needs to be better.

Solution

Adnro

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
I see that the dude installed the backplate wrong. I did set it right.. I use artic silver 5 thermal paste and used the dot method. I added another fan soo 1 infront of the radiator and 1 in the back. It had only one fan at front...

Witcher 3 on ULTRA shows ~65°C
BF4 on ULTRA shows ~60°C

What do you guys think soo far?

I moved my computer from under a desk in a corner to on the desk soo it has more space for the hot air to blow out.