i7-5820K Haswell-E vs i7-6700K

Jeffrey Hoegee

Reputable
May 27, 2015
I'm in the market to upgrade my CPU from a shitty FX-8350 to either of these processors.

What I will do with the system:
Gaming mostly, but I will also encode quite a bit due to the use of a NAS and it's lacking ability to transcode due to ARM based processors. I also had the Sabertooth X99 motherboard in mind if I go for the Haswell-E, or the Sabertooth Z170 for the 6700K, do you think these motherboards are good compared to the more expensive Maximus Extreme motherboards?

And finally, in terms of upgradability and futureproofing.
I was hoping this system would last me for atleast 2 years, and if I had to upgrade that it would only be the CPU, is it better to go with the 1151 socket or 2011-3?

Solution
For the future of what you want to do, the i7 5280K is the better choice. It is a little slower than the i7 670K, even overclocked, both in clock speed and the generational difference, but none of that will matter significantly in gaming, and it is plenty good enough for any current of future gaming rig.

For the other things, it is significantly better, with its two more cores and hyperthreads. for the future, in two years time, and upgrade to a mature Broadwell-E will be viable, and you will be able to see where Skylake-E is going.

Dx12 has much promise, but market penetration will be slow.

As long as many users expect to be able to play AAA games on good laptops, mandatory multi-multi-core will be other than the focus of game...

mrmez

Splendid
For outright power the 5820 is faster, but games can't make use of the extra cores, so for gaming the 6700 will be better.

However, both of them are so fast and can OC so well that they won't bottleneck your system for ages, unless you're running multiple 980ti's etc.

Jeffrey Hoegee

Reputable
May 27, 2015

Actually some games can, CS:GO can make use of all cores and threads, and some other games in steam can also be forced to fully utilise the CPU. And luckily for me, most games I play have this feature.

Jeffrey Hoegee

Reputable
May 27, 2015

However they probably come with a heftier pricetag compared to the Haswell-E. The i7-5820K averages around 400 euro's so I can be pretty certain the Broadwell's are going to be more expensive.

For the future of what you want to do, the i7 5280K is the better choice. It is a little slower than the i7 670K, even overclocked, both in clock speed and the generational difference, but none of that will matter significantly in gaming, and it is plenty good enough for any current of future gaming rig.

For the other things, it is significantly better, with its two more cores and hyperthreads. for the future, in two years time, and upgrade to a mature Broadwell-E will be viable, and you will be able to see where Skylake-E is going.

Dx12 has much promise, but market penetration will be slow.

As long as many users expect to be able to play AAA games on good laptops, mandatory multi-multi-core will be other than the focus of game developers. I think it will take greater penetration of 4K, and the next two years will be a time of transition.

Solution

Jeffrey Hoegee

Reputable
May 27, 2015

Thank you for the anser, the 5820K it is, any opinions on good motherboards? I think the X99 Sabertooth is a solid choice, however I heard some good things about the X99 SLI Plus from MSI.

There are no really bad motherboards. It all depends on what you want. I am waiting for Broadwell-E to come out in about a week (I hope March 14) to upgrade my research system. I am prepared to get a 5820K for all of the reasons I mentioned, and towards the 'end' of its life the stepping is good so I can expect to buy a good, mature chip. however, I am interested in the power use an IPC of the Broadwell. I'm hoping 5% better, but who knows.

For motherboards I would want

2x SLI (Three GPUs is for others, and I probably won't use even two, but I may use an old card for PhysX)
4 x PCIe M.2 slot so I can run a blazing fast boot drive of decent size.
Good overclocking support.
Good quad channel DDR4 support.

I don't much care about USB 3.1, although maybe I should, and bells and whistles mean nothing to me (nor does aesthetic)

All of this means I'm looking at the sub $250 point in the market AND I need a mATX board, so there are only a few choices.

Read through the reviews on boards and look at the benchmarks and see what works for you.