[SOLVED] i7 5820K Haswell E

winkawak

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2015
My x99 motherboard died on me and i cant find anywhere that sells new x99 motherboard anymore. Are there any new socket motherboards that are also compatible with Haswell E cpu?

Solution
No physical damage, no LEDs or anything... the board's just dead?
I can't even begin to tell you where to start with that; just guesses.
-Killed by a short: exposed to moisture, ESD, a screw or other piece of metal making contact with the board where it shouldn't
-Killed by a power surge: blackout
-Killed by the psu: bad unit, or using psu adapters
There's no resurrecting that...

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Are there any new socket motherboards that are also compatible with Haswell E cpu?

Your only choice is the used market - ebay, craigslist etc. If you decide to replace your x99 board, I'd look for a 2nd gen 2011-3 board released for Broadwell-E (Haswell-E is supported). Be prepared to shell out about $200. Otherwise, sell your 5820k and decide on a a new platform.

winkawak

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2015
The 5820k is only supported on X99 boards. Your two choices now are either try to track down an X99 board on the used market, or toss the 5820k and go for a new CPU as well, you could carry the RAM over to a new build as it is DDR4.
You're not going to find new ones at a reasonable price because support and production has ended.
You have to search the 2nd hand market.

Your only choice is the used market - ebay, craigslist etc. If you decide to replace your x99 board, I'd look for a 2nd gen 2011-3 board released for Broadwell-E (Haswell-E is supported). Be prepared to shell out about $200. Otherwise, sell your 5820k and decide on a a new platform.

I guess this is my only option but i don really like buying used especially when it comes to electronics. Is it possible to repair a dead mobo like at a repair shop?

Geertt2

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2012
Might be cheaper to get a new board then spend a bit for a new cpu rather than getting scammed to fix a dead board in which they can say whatever they want to get you to pay for the repairs.

btw, I am also using a x99-a board and just waiting for the day that my mobo bites the dust on me as well.

Reactions: beorn

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No physical damage, no LEDs or anything... the board's just dead?
I can't even begin to tell you where to start with that; just guesses.
-Killed by a short: exposed to moisture, ESD, a screw or other piece of metal making contact with the board where it shouldn't
-Killed by a power surge: blackout
-Killed by the psu: bad unit, or using psu adapters
There's no resurrecting that...

Solution